Dr. Radesky's research focuses on how the parent-child relationship and digital media use interact to shape child social-emotional outcomes. Using a combination of methodologies, including epidemiology, qualitative methods, videotape behavioral coding, and mobile passive sensing, her work has shown associations between self-regulation problems in infants and heavy use of screen media; higher use of mobile devices to soothe toddlers with social-emotional delays; and associations between heavy parent mobile media use, less parent-child interaction, and more negative child behavior. She was awarded the Academic Pediatric Association Bright Futures Young Investigator Award in 2013 to conduct interviews with parents regarding household digital technology use, child behavior, and family dynamics. The results of that project contributed to the new Bright Futures Guidelines (4th Edition) and the new American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on digital media.
1. Radesky J, Christakis D, Hill D, Ameenuddin N, Chassiakos Y, Cross C, Radesky J, Hutchinson J, Boyd R, Mendelson R, Moreno MA. Media and Young Minds. PEDIATRICS. 2016 Nov 1;138(5).
2. Radesky JS, Eisenberg S, Kistin CJ, Gross J, Block G, Zuckerman B, Silverstein M. Overstimulated consumers or next-generation learners? Parent tensions about child mobile technology use. The Annals of Family Medicine. 2016 Nov 1;14(6):503-8.
3. Radesky JS, Kistin C, Eisenberg S, Gross J, Block G, Zuckerman B, Silverstein M. Parent perspectives on their mobile technology use: the excitement and exhaustion of parenting while connected. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics. 2016 Nov 1;37(9):694-701.
4. Radesky JS, Peacock-Chambers E, Zuckerman B, Silverstein M. Use of mobile technology to calm upset children: associations with social-emotional development. JAMA pediatrics. 2016 Apr 1;170(4):397-9.
5. Radesky J, Miller AL, Rosenblum KL, Appugliese D, Kaciroti N, Lumeng JC. Maternal mobile device use during a structured parent–child interaction task. Academic pediatrics. 2015 Apr 30;15(2):238-44.
6. Radesky JS, Kistin CJ, Zuckerman B, Nitzberg K, Gross J, Kaplan-Sanoff M, Augustyn M, Silverstein M. Patterns of mobile device use by caregivers and children during meals in fast food restaurants. Pediatrics. 2014 Mar 1:peds-2013.
7. Radesky JS, Silverstein M, Zuckerman B, Christakis DA. Infant self-regulation and early childhood media exposure. Pediatrics. 2014 May 1;133(5):e1172-8.