Video Series coach athletes and anyone with disabilities participating in sports and recreation through sports drills, tips for adapting gear, and safety precautions. Learn more about the videos on the Michigan Health Blog.
The specialty of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) is uniquely equipped to handle the diagnosis and non-surgical management of the wide range of problems that can arise from the musculoskeletal system. This includes injuries and diseases affecting the muscles, bones, joints, and nerves of the limbs and spine.
Conditions and Areas of Treatment
- Sports medicine - injury rehabilitaton, prevention, and non-operative management
- Adolescent sports injuries
- Musculoskeletal injuries and conditions
- Chronic tendon disorders and injuries
- Peripheral nerve injuries
- Joint pain including ankle, foot, hip, knee, elbow, wrist, and shoulder
- Spine pain including low back, thoracic, and neck
- Performing arts injuries and conditions
- Adaptive athletics
- Arthritic conditions
- Gait and prosthetics training
- Gross and fine motor deficits
We help everyone from the "daily walker" to elite and professional athletes regain function and return to their life's activities through an individualized approach focused around each patient's specific goals.
Sports Medicine – Injury Rehabilitation Services
Our program includes physicians who are board-certified in multiple specialties and are extensively trained in the management of sports-related injuries through non-surgical interventions, pain management strategies, and use of adjunct therapies. Our PM&R physicians are leading experts in musculoskeletal ultrasound and biomechanical evaluation, allowing them to accurately diagnose and treat the most challenging of cases.
We offer a collaborative approach by working closely with a team of orthopaedic surgeons, physical therapists, athletic trainers, sports nutritionists, rehabilitation psychologists and neuropsychologists, and other sports medicine professionals to develop an individualized return-to-play plan for each patient.
Treatment options offered by our physicians may include:
- Therapeutic exercise
- Movement analysis
- Osteopathic manipulation
- Customized bracing
- Injection procedures
- Advanced tendon treatments including TENEX or tendon scraping
- Regenerative medicine therapy
Our physicians also provide sports medicine services to college and university sports teams, as well as national and international competitive teams.
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment with a PM&R physician, please call 734-936-7175.