A University of Michigan Health Virtual Care E-Visit is a convenient way to receive health care advice and treatment for common medical needs. It is an asynchronous way to receive care. This means you will send the information needed to treat you. Our health care providers will review and send a treatment plan in response.
There is no appointment or phone call needed for an E-Visit. You can submit one anytime, day or night, using your MyUofMHealth Patient Portal account.
What conditions can be treated by an E-Visit?
University of Michigan Health Virtual Care offers E-Visit treatment for a wide range of symptoms and conditions. Our Urgent Care E-Visits are available for symptoms you might normally visit a primary care provider or urgent care clinic for, including:
- Cough, flu or COVID-19 like symptoms
- Sinus issues
- Red eye
- Insect bites and stings
- Head lice
- Painful urination
- Vaginal discharge or irritation
- And more…
Our Specialty Care E-Visits are available for an ever-growing range of conditions you might normally see a specialist for, including:
- Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB-GYN)
Log on to the MyUofMHealth Patient Portal to determine exactly what types of E-Visits are available to you.
How can I access an E-Visit?
Simply follow these steps:
- Log in to your MyUofMHealth Patient Portal account.
- Select the E-Visit option under the “Your Menu” tab.
- Answer a few short questions about your health.
- Receive a written response from a University of Michigan Health provider via your MyUofMHealth Patient Portal.
Who can submit an E-Visit?
E-Visits are available for all active (having received care in the last 36 months) University of Michigan Health patients who are enrolled in the MyUofMHealth Patient Portal. E-Visits for patients under the age of 18 must be submitted by a parent or guardian with proxy access. Learn more about proxy access at MyUofMHealth.
How much does an E-Visit cost?
E-Visits may be fully covered by your insurance. You may verify whether you have coverage for E-Visits by calling your insurance company and asking if the following billing codes are covered: 99421, 99422 and 99423.The standard out-of-pocket cost for an E-Visit depends on the type of E-Visit.
- Urgent Care E-Visits, for conditions you would see your primary care provider or visit an urgent care clinic for, cost up to $34.
- Specialty Care E-Visits, for conditions you would normally see a specialist for, cost up to $34 – $119.
Review the “What conditions can be treated by an E-Visit” section on this page for more information about Urgent Care and Specialty Care E-Visits.
What conditions should I not use an E-Visit for?
Do not use an E-Visit if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Severe shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Chest pain
- Headache and stiff neck (can't touch chin to chest)
- Too weak to stand
- Fainting or passing out
- High fever (>104F, 40C)
If you are experiencing these symptoms, please call 911 or your physician's office immediately.
For more information
For more information, check out our Virtual Care FAQs.