ALS by the Numbers
- Every 90 minutes someone is diagnosed and passes from ALS
- 90% of cases occur without a family history
- Onset is usually between the ages 40 & 70 years
- Life expectancy is 2 to 4 years
- By 2040 ALS incidence is predicted to increase worldwide by 70%
ALS Quick Facts
- There is no cure. ALS is always fatal.
- Who gets it: Veterans have 2X the incidence of ALS compared to others
- The Midwest has the highest prevalence of ALS in the US
- Rates in Michigan almost doubled over 10 years.