Road Projects Affecting Traffic Around University of Michigan Hospitals
Catherine Street between Glen Avenue and North Ingalls Street Closure
Expected to begin on Thursday, June 2, and be complete around mid-June, Catherine Street will be closed to through traffic in both directions between Glen Avenue and North Ingalls Street for utility work.
- Access to the Glen Avenue Parking Structure’s south entrance on Catherine Street will be available from the west.
- Pedestrian traffic will be maintained on the north side of Catherine Street.
Glen Avenue from Catherine Street to East Ann Street Closure
The southbound lane of Glen Avenue (between Catherine Street and Ann Street), along with the north lane of Ann Street will be closed for the duration of a new hotel construction project adjacent to U-M property beginning Monday, April 18th and will continue until November 2024.
Pedestrian traffic will also be rerouted away from the construction area. Expect constant construction vehicle traffic during this time.
New Adult Hospital Construction
Construction has begun on the new adult hospital to be located adjacent to the Frankel Cardiovascular Center and fencing has been installed around the construction site. The fencing will remain in place through 2024. Here is some important information about factors that may affect your hospital visit:
- Traffic: There will be ongoing, intermittent lane closures on and around Catherine Street, but access to the Frankel Cardiovascular Center (and parking for the cardiovascular center) on Observatory will remain open. Parking: Approximately 15 metered parking spaces along Ann Street will become unavailable when fencing is installed.
- Dust Exposure and Masks: Please be assured that we will make great efforts to keep dust exposure to a minimum. However, patients should be aware of the potential for exposure and should use a mask if you have any dust and mold sensitivities. You will be notified of this recommendation via your appointment reminders, and masks will be available at the entrances and exists close to the construction site.
- Signs and Wayfinding: Signs will be posted around campus to assist pedestrians. View a wayfinding map of the hospital campus during construction (PDF).
P2 (Taubman) Parking Structure Concrete & Waterproofing Repairs
Please be advised that construction repairs to the P2 (Taubman) Parking Structure are planned to begin on Monday, April 4 and extend approximately 20 weeks (into late August). P2 will remain open during the project and there is also parking located within the adjacent P3 Structure. The project includes floor, ceiling, beam, column and wall repairs, expansion joint replacement and repairs, as well as traffic topping, sealants, and striping.
Construction repairs will be phased within the structure and will start at the upper levels.
- Weekdays: Up to 80 parking spaces will be closed continuously. Concrete work will primarily occur on the second shift between the hours of 3PM - 1AM.
- Weekends (3PM Fri - 5AM Mon): Up to 120 spaces will be closed for repairs.
Signage will be posted notifying facility users of parking closure areas and any adjusted traffic flow around repair areas.
Please observe all signage and drive cautiously within the structure while the project is underway. Thank you for your patience and cooperation during these repairs.
Other Traffic Advisories
You may learn about other key construction projects that may affect your hospital visit by visiting the Road and Lane Closures page on the City of Ann Arbor website.
- MDOT (Michigan Department of Transportation)
- City of Ann Arbor Road and Lane Closures
- Ann Arbor Area Transit Authority (AAATA) Bus Detours, Routes and Schedules
- University of Michigan Parking & Transportation Services