Resources for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Patients, Families and Visitors
Michigan Medicine focuses on patient and family centered care for our Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ+) guests. Members of the LGBTQ+ community continue to face a variety of health care disparities. Together, we can all make our health system an inclusive space of healing for all patients and families.
Michigan Medicine offers a variety of services and programs for health issues affecting the LBGTQ+ community.
- Child and Adolescent Gender Services: Serves child and adolescent transgender, gender nonconforming, and non-binary patients.
- Comprehensive Gender Services Program: Serves adult transgender, gender nonconforming, and non-binary patients.
- HIV/AIDS Treatment Program: This program provides comprehensive care for the whole person using a multi-focused team approach addressing medical and psychological needs.
- LGBTQ+ Affirming Provider List: Complete Guide
- LGBTQ+ Affirming Provider List: Quick Reference Guide
Michigan Medicine offers a variety of support groups for topics affecting the LGBTQ community.
- Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Adult Support Group
- Parents of Gender Nonconforming People
- HIV/AIDS Support Group: For more information, contact Amy Jacobs, LMSW, at [email protected] or via phone at 734-763-9227.
Patient Rights and Policies
Please refer to the links below for information about patient rights, responsibilities and policies.
- Patient Rights & Responsibilities
- Family Presence and Visitation
- Michigan Medicine Non-Discrimination Notice (for patients and families & includes information for filing a complaint)
- Patient Non-Discrimination Policy and Access Plan (for employees; requires login)
Please see the compelling stories from our LGBTQ+ patient advisors.
- All-Gender Restrooms
- How to add sexual orientation & gender identity in the patient portal: Website directions OR App directions
Advisory Committee for the Advancement of LGBTQ Health
The Advisory Committee for the Advancement of LGBTQ Health at Michigan Medicine (ACALHM) aims to create enduring and affirming spaces to promote the health and well-being of patients, families, learners, staff, faculty, and visitors of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions at Michigan Medicine. In pursuit of this aim, the role of ACALHM is to:
- Gather key information about the structures, policies, barriers and facilitators to promoting LGBTQ health at Michigan Medicine
- Provide input and make recommendations to help guide institutional efforts at Michigan Medicine.
Members of the advisory committee
Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Healthcare Equality Index (HEI)
Non-discrimination and staff trainingThe Human Rights Campaign is the nation’s largest LGBTQ civil rights organization. They issue the Healthcare Equality Index as a report used to evaluate participating healthcare organizations. A score out of 100 is issued based on the following framework:
- Patient services and support
- Employee benefits and policies
- Patient and community programs
Michigan Medicine earned a score of 100 on the 2022 Healthcare Equality Index, receiving a "Leader" designation.
We want to hear from you! If you have an idea for a patient experience project or topic for the advisory council to consider, please send us an email to [email protected]