From Ann Arbor to the Upper Peninsula, from Detroit to Grand Rapids, Michigan Medicine is here for Michiganders who need our level of expertise, even as we help patients receive better local care across the state. Our impact reaches beyond our state's borders, and around the world.
Caring for patients:
As the map shows, we serve patients from every county of Michigan – and beyond. Patients come to our hospitals and specialty centers for advanced care for a wide range of complex conditions and acute needs.
- We provide more than $510 million worth of community benefit services each year, including more than $273 million in charity care and other uncompensated and unreimbursed care from our hospitals and health centers, as well as $237 million worth of training, research, outreach, community programs and more. We use the methodology set out by the Michigan Health & Hospital Association, and account for nearly one-sixth of the total community benefits reported by MHA members for fiscal year 2015, the most recent year for which statewide data are available. The value of our total community benefits has risen steadily; in FY10 it was $305 million.
- At partner sites around the state, U-M clinicians provide cancer care, children’s specialty care, emergency care, heart care and more.
- Our Survival Flight fleet of three helicopters and one jet flies to every corner of the state, providing immediate intensive care in the air and rapid transport for transplant organs.
- U-M Home Care Services sends visiting nurses to provide in-home care for patients in 8 counties, and offers specialized home pharmacy & medical supply/equipment services for patients statewide.
- Our Cancer AnswerLine provides any caller with personalized information on the entire spectrum of cancer issues - from warning signs and detection tests to clinical trials and physician referrals.
- Thousands of Michiganders help us discover the future of medicine each year, by taking part in medical research studies that focus on specific conditions, or just general human health. Find a study that needs your help here.
- Each month, we arrange lodging near our medical campus for hundreds of patients & their loved ones. (Learn more on our Accommodations Program page)
Serving health providers:
- Through M-LINE and other services, we offer referring physicians 24-hour toll-free access to specialists, a service that has been well-received statewide.
- We offer secure online medical record access for physicians through our Michigan Medicine Provider Portal, the Great Lakes Health Connect and EPIC Care Everywhere.
- Through online and in-person continuing medical education and free online care guidelines based on medical evidence, we support the continuous professional development of doctors statewide.
- Our MLabs service provides high-quality diagnostic testing service to more than 30 hospitals, 200 physician practices and several extended care facilities across the state.
- As the State Burn Coordinating Center, we prepare clinicians to respond to disasters statewide.
- We train emergency medical service (EMS) crews in effective techniques and disaster response through our Survival Flight education programs.
Improving care across Michigan:
- We lead or co-lead a number of health care quality & safety initiatives to improve care in hospitals & physician offices statewide.
- We have launched Accountable Care Organizations to help thousands of physicians provide better, less costly care to Medicare beneficiaries, and we run a major Patient Centered Medical Home initiative. Learn more about these and other population health efforts.
- Nearly 6,000 of our Medical School graduates and former medical residents/fellows live in Michigan, bringing their U-M training to patients in communities large and small.
Educating tomorrow’s medical professionals and scientists:
- Thousands of students and early-career professionals learn the skills and knowledge needed for their future careers in our hospitals, clinics and laboratories. Learn more about our degree-based education programs here and our residency programs for early-career physicians here.
- We help young people explore and prepare for medical and scientific careers through a broad range of summer research experiences, and through degree preparatory programs, with a special focus on those who come from backgrounds not traditionally represented in medicine and biomedical science.
Caring for our environment:
- We take pride in our efforts to reduce the environmental impact of our clinical, research and patient care operations. We have been honored at a national level for our commitment to sustainability and efforts to protect the environment.
Having a global impact:
- Our Medical School takes a global view, partnering with other medical schools and health institutions in key countries to enhance care through research, training and exchanges of students and faculty.