Dr. De Cardenas attended medical school at Universidad Nacional de Trujillo, Peru, and completed residency in Internal Medicine at Albert Einstein College of Medicine – Jacobi Medical Center, New York, NY. He went on to complete fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Zucker School of Medicine North Shore – Long Island Jewish Hospital, NY. Following this, he trained at the Harvard Medical School Combined Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center- Massachusetts General Hospital Interventional Pulmonology Fellowship Program in Boston, MA.
Dr. De Cardenas is the Director of the Interventional Pulmonology Program at the University of Michigan. He is part of the multidisciplinary team at University of Michigan that treats patients with complex airway and pleural diseases. He has specific expertise in minimally invasive advanced diagnostic and therapeutic bronchoscopic and pleural procedures, critical care ultrasonography and medical education. His academic interests include endobronchial device development for treatment of early lung cancer, pleural infectious disease, and developing novel methods to teach procedural skills. He currently serves on the steering committee for the Interventional Chest Diagnostic Procedures NetWork of the American College of Chest Physicians.
Honors and Awards:
- 2017 Nominee Emerging Educator Award - Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors (APCCMPD)
- 2014 Fellow of the Year, Department of Medicine. Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra Northwell, NY
- 2012 Best Teaching Senior Resident, Leo M. Davidoff Society Awards, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- 2011 Best Teaching Junior Resident, Leo M. Davidoff Society Awards, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- 2010 Best Teaching Intern, Leo M. Davidoff Society Awards, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- MD, Facultad de Medicina. Universidad Nacional de Trujillo, Peru 2006
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Jacobi Medical Center, Internal Medicine, NY 2012
- Harvard Medical School, Combined Interventional Pulmonology Fellowship. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 2016
- Zucker School of Medicine. Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, North Shore University Hospital and Long Island Jewish Medical Center, NY 2015
- 2012: Board Certification in Internal Medicine
- 2014: Board Certification in Pulmonary Medicine
- 2016: Board Certification in Critical Care Medicine
- 2017: Board Certification in Interventional Pulmonology. AABIP