Medical Records

What's in my medical records?

Your medical record includes the following:

  • Results of all laboratory tests, X-rays, other diagnostic studies, and medical treatment you received while you were hospitalized or treated as an outpatient
  • Physician reports from examinations, surgery, treatment and medications
  • Observations by nurses and other members of your health care team 

Can my doctor outside of U of M access my records?

At the University of Michigan, we participate in a state-wide health information exchange (HIE) that allows other doctors and hospitals outside of U of M to access information that we’ve collected about patients. Also, there are other ways that patient information is shared electronically with health care providers outside of U of M. See When and Why We Share Your Health Information for more information about how we share patient information with other health care providers.  

May I have copies of my medical records?

Some of your health information is available online through our secure MyUofMHealth Patient Portal.  Learn more about the patient portal.  To request (electronic or paper) copies of your Michigan Medicine health information, you can use this ROI form:

Records requested in paper will be sent through the U.S. mail and fees may apply (see fee schedule on ROI form).  Our average turnaround time for processing requests is five to seven business days (some exceptions apply and Radiology exams on CD require separate processing explained below).  Records needed for medical emergencies will be faxed directly to a physician or medical facility.  There are three ways to submit requests:

  • MyUofMHealth Patient Portal Medical Record Request form
  • Mail to: Revenue Cycle Mid Service (HIM), Release of Information (ROI) Unit, 3621 South State Street 700 KMS Place, Ann Arbor MI 48108-1633
  • Fax: 734-936-8571

Can you fax me my information?

We are committed to protecting your privacy and do not fax PHI (protected health information) per health system policy.  Additionally, your medical record may contain sensitive information protected under federal and state regulations (including information about psychiatric, drug and/or alcohol abuse, HIV/AIDS, and or sexual abuse.  Authorizations to release sensitive information must refer specifically to the information that is to be released.

Is there a charge for my records?

There are no fees for sending your records to another physician or health care facility for the continuation of your care.  Medical records sent to you directly through your MyUofMHealth Patient Portal also do not have any fees.  Records requested in paper or other formats as well as releasing to any third party other than the patient will include fees as allowed under State of Michigan statute and updated annually.  See the ROI Authorization form for details.

Other Forms and Requests

Family and Friends List for Outpatient Clinics Only

This form documents my request to allow family members and/or friends to be involved in verbal discussions regarding my health care.

If the Family & Friends List is NOT completed, members of the patient’s health care team may still, subject to their professional judgment, share information that is directly relevant about the patient with the patient’s family members or friends who are involved in the care of the patient and/or payment for healthcare

Requests for Medical Records of Deceased Patients

Records of deceased patients may be released to the designated Personal Representative/Successor Personal Representative as stated in a written will or by the Probate court as either the Executor or Administrator of the deceased person’s estate; the beneficiary of the patient’s life insurance policy; and the Heir at Law (a person who is legally entitled by state law to inherit property of a deceased person when that person dies without a valid will).  In addition to Authorization to Release Patient Information form, the Heir at Law should complete the Affidavit of Heir form below.

Request for Outside Records - Patient Information from another Organization

This form documents my authorization for Michigan Medicine to request my medical records from an outside health system, clinic, or provider. Before filling out this form, check if the outside health system, clinic, or provider participates with Care Everywhere or Care Anywhere allowing the electronic exchange of health information for the most efficient process.

Requests for Radiology Exams on CD (CT, MRI, PET, X-ray, etc.)

Patients can pick up CDs of these exams from 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. at University Hospital (Floor B1, Room D240).  Please call Radiology at 734-936-4516 ahead of time to allow ample time for the images to be prepared, or to arrange pickup outside of these hours.

The Right to Amend or Update Your PHI (protected health information)

If you believe your PHI is incorrect or incomplete, you have the right to request us to add to or amend the existing information.  Your request must be in writing and must include the reason for your request. We will respond within 60 days of Data Integrity receiving your request. We may deny your request in writing if the PHI (i) is correct and complete, (ii) was not created by us, (iii) is not allowed to be disclosed, or (iv) is not part of our records.  Our denial will include the reason(s) for the denial and will explain your right to file a written statement of disagreement. If you don’t file a written statement of disagreement, you have the right to request that your amendment request and our denial be attached to your PHI.  If your amendment request is approved, we will make the change to your PHI and let you know it has been completed.  An amendment may take several forms, such as an explanatory statement added to your record.

The Patient Request for Amendment to the Medical Record (Patient Request for Amendment to the Medical Record) form must be completed and either digitally signed or printed and hand signed. A typed signature will not be accepted. You can contact Revenue Cycle Data Integrity at 734-615-7705 or [email protected] for instructions.

Birth and Death Certificates

Please contact the Washtenaw County Clerk’s Office of Records and Deeds at 734-222-6720. The University of Michigan does not provide copies of birth or death certificates.