Questions? Contact the Release of Information Unit at 734-936-5490
If you have an urgent need to get copies of your medical records, please call the Release of Information unit at 734-936-5490.
Patient Portal (MyUofMHealth.org) Help Desk
Phone number for patients and staff: 734-615-0872
- Monday – Friday: 7:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Saturday & Sunday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
What's in my medical records?
Your medical record includes the following:
- Results of all laboratory tests, X-rays, other diagnostic studies, and medical treatment you received while you were hospitalized or treated as an outpatient
- Physician reports from examinations, surgery, treatment and medications
- Observations by nurses and other members of your health care team
Can my doctor outside of U of M access my records?
At the University of Michigan, we participate in a state-wide health information exchange (HIE) that allows other doctors and hospitals outside of U of M to access information that we’ve collected about patients. Also, there are other ways that patient information is shared electronically with health care providers outside of U of M. See When and Why We Share Your Health Information for more information about how we share patient information with other health care providers.
May I have copies of my medical records?
Some of your health information is now available online through our secure patient portal, MyUofMHealth.org. Learn more about the patient portal. To request paper copies of UMHS health information, you can use this form:
Records will be sent through the U.S. mail. Our average turnaround time for processing requests is seven business days (exceptions for Radiology exams on CD only are explained below). Records needed for medical emergencies will be faxed directly to a physician or medical facility. There are three ways to submit requests:
- Drop off at any University of Michigan Hospital or Health Center registration desk
- Mail to: Release of Information Unit University of Michigan Health System 2901 Hubbard Rd., 2722 Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2435
- Fax: 734-936-8571
Can you fax me my information?
We do not fax sensitive information, per hospital policy and to protect your privacy. Sensitive information includes information about psychiatric, drug and/or alcohol abuse, HIV/AIDS, and sexual abuse. Authorizations to release sensitive information must refer specifically to the information that is to be released.
Is there a charge for my records?
Records requested for reasons other than continuing medical care will be assessed a fee. This includes patients requesting copies for themselves.
Access Fees for PATIENTS ONLY:
- Electronic records delivered in electronic format $6.50
- Electronic medical record with paper records delivered in Electronic format are billed at $6.50 + $0.07 per page labor cost to create and deliver the portion of the record maintained in paper
- Electronic records delivered in paper $0.90 labor cost to create and deliver the portion of the record maintained electronically plus $0.05 per page for paper and toner
- Paper records delivered in electronic format $0.07 per page labor fee
- Paper records delivered in paper $0.12 per page
** Plus postage and taxes
Requests for medical records released to anyone but the patient may have associated fees as regulated by the State of Michigan and adjusted annually.
Other Forms and Requests
Family and Friends List for Outpatient Clinics Only
This form documents my request to allow family members and/or friends to be involved in verbal discussions regarding my health care.
If the Family & Friends List is NOT completed, members of the patient’s health care team may still, subject to their professional judgment, share information that is directly relevant about the patient with the patient’s family members or friends who are involved in the care of the patient and/or payment for healthcare
Requests for Medical Records of Deceased Patients
Records of deceased patients may be released to the designated Personal Representative/Successor Personal Representative as stated in a written will or by the Probate court as either the Executor or Administrator of the deceased person’s estate; the beneficiary of the patient’s life insurance policy; and the Heir at Law (a person who is legally entitled by state law to inherit property of a deceased person when that person dies without a valid will). In addition to Authorization to Release Patient Information form, the Heir at Law should complete the Affidavit of Heir form below.
Requests for Radiology Exams on CD (CT, MRI, PET, X-ray, etc.)
Patients can pick up CDs of these exams from 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. at University Hospital (Floor B1, Room D240). Please call Radiology at 734-936-4516 ahead of time to allow ample time for the images to be prepared, or to arrange pickup outside of these hours.
Birth and Death Certificates
Please contact the Washtenaw County Clerk’s Office of Records and Deeds at 734-222-6720. The University of Michigan does not provide copies of birth or death certificates.
The Guest Assistance Program notarizes documents free of charge for patients.