University of Michigan Health System’s policy supports medically necessary health care for all people, regardless of their ability to pay. For questions about your bill, visit our Billing and Bill Payment page or contact Patient Financial Experience at 855-855-0863 or locally at 734-615-0863, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Contact a Patient Financial Counselor
Whether you are insured or uninsured, our Patient Financial Counselors can explore options that may be available to you, including our Financial Assistance Program, MSupport. Contact a Patient Financial Counselor by phone at 877-326-9155 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, or by email at PFC-Counselors@med.umich.edu. To learn more about pricing and the factors that affect the out-of-pocket cost for your care, visit our Price Transparency page.
Contact the Guest Assistance Program
The Guest Assistance Program (GAP) offers several types of financial resources to our patients (all based on eligibility) for expenses related to medical care at Michigan Medicine, including costs for medications, supplies and equipment, and lodging and meal assistance. Contact the Guest Assistance Program at 800-888-9825 for more information about your eligibility for this type of assistance, or visit the Guest Assistance Program page.
MSupport is our financial assistance program that may help you if you are uninsured, have limited or exhausted insurance benefits. For details or assistance call 855-853-5380, Monday through Friday 8 am - 4 pm, or email RVC-MSupport-Coordinators@med.umich.edu.
MSupport guidelines include the following:
A patient may receive 100% of their services free if their income is below 2 ½ times the Federal Poverty Guidelines and meets other financial criteria as follows:
- A patient may receive a 55% reduction of their charges if their income is below 4 times the Federal Poverty Guidelines and meets other requirements
- Patient must complete an MSupport Application and show proof of household income (see below for translated versions)
- Patient is not enrolled in a college or university
- Patient lives in Michigan
- Patient does not qualify or has been denied Medicaid or County Health Plan coverage, or an affordable option on the Affordable Care Act individual Marketplace
- Patient’s bank accounts and retirement accounts are below certain levels
- Patient is not covered under any medical insurance or has substantial out of pocket costs from their health plan.
- May qualify for medically necessary services that are not covered under their Medicaid and County Health Plan
- Patients who are eligible for COBRA* benefits but declined to pay for coverage because the cost is greater than 25% of their monthly income
- Other types of financial assistance are managed by our Guest Assistance Program.
Financial Assistance Policy PDFs
|Application||Abbreviated Policy||Complete Policy|
|Chinese||Chinese Mandarin||Chinese Mandarin|
*COBRA gives workers and their families who lose their health benefits the right to choose to continue health benefits provided by their group health plan for limited periods of time under certain circumstances such as voluntary or involuntary job loss, reduction in the hours worked, transition between jobs, death, divorce, and other life events. (www.dol.gov)