EHR-to-EHR Communication with Michigan Medicine
Direct messaging is a secure, standardized way that health care organizations can exchange patient health information and referrals directly between electronic health record (EHR) systems. This functionality allows practices to connect with Michigan Medicine without having to use fax machines or mail services.
Direct messaging can be used to securely send:
- Outpatient Referrals
- Physician-to-Physician Messages
- Continuity of Care Documents
- Automatic Discharge Notices
- Summary of Care Documents
- Other patient records & results
Utilizing direct messaging will also help your organization meet ‘Meaningful Use’ EHR incentive program requirements. For more information about Meaningful Use, please visit: https://www.cdc.gov/ehrmeaningfuluse/
How can my organization use Direct Messaging to connect with Michigan Medicine?
To start the set-up process for direct messaging, please follow these instructions:
- Download the Direct Address excel file and save it to your computer.
- Fill out the file with each of your providers’ information. Please be sure to include the NPI and direct address of ALL providers at your office.
- Email the completed file to ProviderPortal@med.umich.edu.
Once we have received the completed excel file from your office, we will send you our direct address directory file and further instructions to complete the direct messaging set up process.
If you have any additional questions about Direct Messaging with Michigan Medicine, please call M-LINE at 1-800-962-3555.