The Orthotics and Prosthetics Center at the University of Michigan is among the few University based facilities in the country that offer comprehensive orthotic and prosthetic services and has been awarded the maximum three-year accreditation by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. Our experts assess each patient’s individual needs and custom design orthoses and prostheses to meet those needs. An orthosis (plural: orthoses) is an orthopedic brace while a prosthesis, (plural: prostheses) is an artificial limb. We take a multidisciplinary approach to your care. This multidisciplinary team will work together with you to formulate and implement the best treatment plan according to your goals, activity level and lifestyle. Depending on your individual needs, your team may include:
- Physician: A sub-specialized medical expert that is trained to manage complex medical and technical biomechanics for optimal functional outcomes.
- Prosthetist: A health care professional specifically educated and trained to measure, design, fabricate, fit, or service prostheses as prescribed by a licensed physician.
- Orthotist: A health care professional specifically educated and trained to measure, design, fabricate, fit, or service orthoses as prescribed by a licensed physician.
- Pedorthist: A health care professional who specializes in the use of footwear and foot orthoses to address conditions which affect the feet.
- Therapist: A health care professional, specifically educated and trained to rehabilitate patients and prepare them to use their prosthetic and orthotic devices safely.
Orthotics and Prosthetics Services
Our services include:
- Education about the various prostheses and orthoses available
- Evaluating, designing, fabricating, fitting, and adjusting of orthoses and/or prostheses
- Training you and your family on the proper wear and care of your orthosis or prosthesis
- Providing follow-up care as needed
Our outpatient center is conveniently located in Ann Arbor, minutes from I-94 and US-23. and a new location in Northville. Free parking and easy access to the facility is available. Call ahead and we can provide wheelchair support. We require prescriptions for most of our orthotics and prosthetics services. Some walk-in services are available. Please call ahead.
- Brian Kelly, DO
- Bob Austin, CPed
- Alicia Baxter, CPO
- Eric Broekhuizen, CO
- Megan Christ, CPO
- Megan Diemer, CP
- Samantha Dunn, Orthotic Assistant
- Nancy Evans, COA, CFOM, CTPO
- Kelly Francis, CPed
- Marilyn Haubenstricker, CO
- Jacob Helmer, CPed
- Martin Huebner, CPO
- Molly LaFave, CPO
- Shane Lantrip, CPed
- Quintenance Miller, OTRL
- Ammanath Peethambaran, MS, CO, FAAOP
- Jan Powers, CFOM
- Jennifer Richards, CPO
- Kathleen Schultz, CFO
- Tiffany Shepard, CFO
- Alex Shimkus, CPO, FAAOP
- Molly Steinbrunner, CPO
- Jennifer Trombley, COA, CFO
- Gregory Vessels, CPO
- Sara Pschigoda Wagner, MSPO, CPO
- Breanna Waterstrandt, CPed
- Adam Watson, CPO
- Jeffrey Wensman, BSME, CPO
- Leslie Wontorcik, CP
- Heather Wood, CPO
Make an Appointment
If you are calling for an appointment with our amputee clinic or post-polio physician specialists, please call the Orthotics & Prosthetics Call Center at (734) 973-2400.
For appointments with our physicians or more information about our clinics, please contact our Rehabilitation Medicine call center at 734-936-7175 or visit our Make an Appointment with Rehabilitation Medicine page.