Patient and Visitor Guide FAQs

General Questions

When can friends and family visit me in the hospital?

We have temporarily revised our family and guest policy due to the coronavirus pandemic. Please note that only one visitor per adult patient is allowed, and no children are allowed under age 16, except under exceptional circumstances.

We understand these are unusual circumstances and that these actions may cause hardship for our patients. However, our top priority is the safety of our patients and of our staff. We believe these efforts will reduce chances of infection spreading.

To see the complete list of updates, go to the Visitor page on

What do I need to bring for my appointment?

Your health care provider and insurance company can give you information about what to bring for your appointment. Here is a list of the basics:

  • Blue U-M Registration Card - if you have one (see below)
  • Health insurance cards
  • Medical records - including immunization records - from other institutions or other doctors' offices
  • Test results and copies of X-rays or imaging studies (CT scans, sonograms, etc.)
  • List of current medications, including dosage amounts and renewal needs. Include over-the-counter and herbal medications.
  • Any medical forms that need to be completed by your health care provider
  • A referral, if required
  • List of your questions

What should I take with me for my stay at the hospital?

To help you prepare for your hospital stay, we’ve prepared the following basic list of items to bring with you. Please check with your doctor to find out if there are specific items you should or shouldn’t bring in addition to those listed below:

  • Health insurance cards or documentation that includes the insurance company name and policy number
  • Copy of referral, if appropriate
  • Picture identification
  • A list of over-the-counter and prescription medications you have recently, or are currently, taking. Be sure to include the medication names, dosage amounts and number of times taken. Please do not bring in the medications themselves. They will be sent home or stored in Security.
  • A phone card to use when making long-distance calls.
  • Please feel free to bring any toiletry items from home that would make your stay more comfortable. There are basic toiletries available, if needed.
  • We discourage patients from bringing along personal electronic devices such as laptops, iPods, MP3 players, etc., because there are times when you will not be in your room and will not be able to secure them properly. If you do bring the items, please clearly label them with your name and information. UMHS is not responsible for loss of such items.
  • If you are using an MP3 player, video game or laptop with sound, please make sure to bring and use headphones to help us maintain an environment that is respectful to all patients and visitors.

Where do I park and what does it cost?

Whether you're coming by bus, by car, or even RV, you'll want to get to know your way around before you get here. We are served by two comprehensive public transportation systems and have plenty of parking available for our patients and visitors. Follow this link to find the cost of parking.

As always, build a few minutes extra into your schedule to make sure you're headed in the right direction. Looking at these maps will help.

As a new or returning patient please allow at least 30 minutes to navigate the parking structure and walk to your appointment. If you use an assistive device,  you may want to allow longer. Also remember Valet  Parking is an option.  Please take a few minutes to view this video if you are unsure how to arrive to the medical center.

Several of our locations have valet parking for a fee.  Note: Valet parking at the Emergency Department is always free.

How do I get there?

You can see where the structures are located on our Medical Center Maps page and our Maps & Directions page.

Where do I go for lab work (blood test) or to fill a prescription?

MLabs offers adult and pediatric blood drawing services at our University of Michigan Health System locations. When you arrive, you must present your completed MLabs requisition to the receptionist. If you do not have one, check with the receptionist to see if it is available in an online system or is otherwise available. No appointment is necessary for routine services, but please call ahead to schedule glucose tolerance testing. Hours are subject to change without notice. Lab results are available only through your physician's office. Please do not contact the specimen collection facility or blood drawing station for test result information. Patients may drop off non-blood specimens (urine and stool samples) at all MLab sites for transport to U-M hospital for testing. The specimen must be accompanied by a completed MLabs requisition. Visit here for a list of MLab locations.

How do I get copies of my UMHS medical record?

Questions regarding medical records may be directed to the Release of Information Unit at 734-936-5490. Your medical record includes the following:

  • results of all laboratory tests, X-rays, other diagnostic studies, and medical treatment you received while you were hospitalized or treated as an outpatient
  • physician reports from examinations, surgery, treatment and medications
  • observations by nurses and other members of your health care team 

Do you accept my health insurance?

University of Michigan Health System accepts most insurance plans including various managed care plans. We recommend that you check with your health plan to determine health care coverage at the University of Michigan before scheduling your hospital or clinic visit.

If we have a contract with your insurance plan, you will be asked to pay for any out of pocket costs such as co-payments, co-insurance, deductibles and non-covered services (Insurance contracts change periodically, and we recommend you check with your insurance benefit to see if they include us in their network). Your insurance company will have the most accurate information related to your benefits.

If your insurance is not one of the Participating Insurance Plans listed below, we will send your insurance plan a bill as a courtesy, but any amounts your insurance company does not pay will be your responsibility.

I don't think I can pay my bill. How can I get help?

Patients and their families often experience a wide variety of issues and concerns when they are dealing with a health care situation. The Guest Assistance Program (GAP) was created to alleviate many of those issues by assisting with non-medical needs for both adult and pediatric patients. Our dedicated social workers problem-solve, research community resources, and assist with the coordination of various needs that arise during medical treatment. Our centralized program is unique, with a dedicated team all working in a single location with all of our resources compiled in one place, within the Department of Social Work. We focus solely on barriers to care – things that would keep patients from maintaining treatment or appointments that would impact their health.

Call 800-888-9825 to connect to one of our friendly and informative team members.

Can I bring my computer, and is there Internet access?

Free, public wireless Internet access is available in nearly all U-M Health System facilities, including:

  • Main Medical Campus, including all hospitals and outpatient centers, the Cancer Center, the Cardiovascular Center and MedInn
  • East Medical Campus
  • Many Domino's Farms clinics
  • Some U-M Health Centers in nearby communities.

Through this network, you can use your laptop or mobile device to access the Internet from patients' hospital rooms, waiting areas, cafeterias and other locations.

Is there a chapel or religious services?

University of Michigan Health System has two chapels. The University Hospital chapel is located on the second floor of University Hospital, room 2A215. The Mott Children’s and Voigtlander Women’s Hospital chapel is located on the second floor, room 2780. Both are open 24 hours a day.

Our chaplains are clinically trained clergy/religious leaders who specialize in offering spiritual and emotional care and support to patients and their families and hospital caregivers.They represent a variety of religions and faith traditions and are deeply sensitive to differences in culture, religion and lifestyles.

Can I use my cell phone?

Do not use cell phones within one foot of a medical device. This guideline includes two-way radios and push-to-talk functions.

Cell phones may be used in hospital lobbies, on patient floors and in patient rooms. Cell phones may not be used in the ICU except in waiting areas.

How can visitors reach me by phone?

Cell phones may be used in hospital lobbies, on patient floors and in patient rooms. Cell phones may not be used in the ICU except in waiting areas. Public phones are located on several floors of our hospitals. Ask for directions at any Information Desk, or ask a Unit Host. More information about phones.

Can I smoke?

We are a smoke-free environment indoors and out in the interest of our patients, families, visitors and staff. Information about our Smoke-Free Campus including a map of the outdoor smoke-free areas, is available online or at any information desk.

What are my rights as a patient?

As a patient, you have the right to:

  • Access to Respectful Care
  • Involvement in Care Decisions
  • Your Medical Records
  • Information About Care or Service
  • Information about Billing

What are my privacy rights?

HIPAA, the notice of Privacy Practices, describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please read it carefully.

This Notice of Privacy Practices (Notice) applies to all information about care that you receive from the following:

  • University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) which includes our hospitals, doctors, home health services, pharmacy services, laboratory services, and other related health care providers
  • Portions of the University of Michigan that provide health care services (UM Providers) such as University Health Service, the University of Michigan School of Dentistry, etc.
  • UMHS and its organized health care arrangements where the UMHS participates in quality improvement and assessment activities as part of an organized health care arrangement where the providers work jointly to help improve the quality of your care. Visit here for examples of current Organized Health Care Arrangements in which the UMHS participates.


Appointment Information

How can I schedule an appointment?

If you would like to schedule an appointment, we can help you understand your options and direct you to the right program. Please note that some services require a physician referral, and we can assist you in the process. You may also call one of the numbers below:

For questions about appointments that are not covered by the information above, the hospital operator may be able refer you to a clinic that can assist you at 1-734-936-4000.

Can I schedule an appointment on MyUofMHealth?

You cannot directly schedule an appointment on MyUofMHealth, but you can make an appointment request at any clinic that you have previously been seen in the last three years. You can also confirm that you will be attending a previously scheduled appointment.

Can I schedule an appointment for someone other than myself on MyUofMHealth?

You cannot directly schedule an appointment for someone else on MyUofMHealth, but you can make an appointment request at any clinic that the patient has previously been seen in the last three years. To request an appointment, follow the same steps as if you were scheduling an appointment for yourself.

Can I cancel a clinic appointment on MyUofMHealth?

Appointments can be directly canceled on MyUofMHealth. To cancel an appointment, click on “Appointments” and choose “Cancel Appts.” If the appointment is to take place in less than 24 hours, you will not be able to cancel the appointment via MyUofMHealth and must call the clinic directly.


MyUofMHealth Patient Portal

What is MyUofMHealth?

MyUofMHealth offers patients personalized and secure on-line access to portions of their medical records. It enables you to securely use the Internet to help manage and receive information about your health. With MyUofMHealth, you can use the Internet to:

  • Request medical appointments.
  • View your health summary from the MyUofMHealth electronic health record.
  • View test results.
  • Request prescription renewals.
  • Access trusted health information resources.
  • Communicate electronically and securely with your medical care team.

Is there a fee to use MyUofMHealth?

MyUofMHealth is a free service offered to our patients.

How do I sign up?

Patients who wish to participate will be issued a MyUofMHealth activation code. There are two ways to get an activation code. Patients can get an activation code after their clinic visit or they can request an activation code by completing the online request form. This code will enable you to login and create your own username and password.

What do I need to use MyUofMHealth?

You need access to a computer connected to the Internet and an up-to-date browser (such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox). MyUofMHealth works best on Internet Explorer 7 or higher and Mozilla Firefox 3.0 and higher, Safari 5.0.2 or higher, and Google Chrome 7.0 or higher. You can download these browsers for free. You can also access MyUofMHealth from your Android cell phone or iPhone.

Who do I contact if I have further questions?

You may e-mail us at [email protected], or you can call our Health Information Management Department at 734-615-0872, Monday-Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm.

When can I see my test results in MyUofMHealth?

Your test results are released to your MyUofMHealth account after your physician has reviewed them. Most Outpatient results are released in the range of 3-4 days, but some are delayed as long as 90 days.

Test results from an admission are viewable during an admission after about 24 hours. Most results will be available to view in the portal upon discharge.

If some of my health information on MyUofMHealth is not correct, what should I do?

You may e-mail us at [email protected], or you can call our Health Information Management Department (HIM) at 734-615-0872, Monday-Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm. The HIM department will work with you and your physician to ensure your medical record is accurate.

What should I do if I don’t understand my health information?

You can discuss any questions with your provider at your next office visit. You can also review various health topics in your portal for more information.

If I send a message to my doctor, when can I expect a reply?

You will generally receive an answer within 3 business days. Please note that MyUofMHealth should not be used for urgent situations. Please go to your nearest medical center if the situation requires immediate attention or dial 911 if it is an emergency.

Why can’t I see my test results in MyUofMHealth?

If your test results were ordered by a non-UM physician, they will not appear in MyUofMHealth – even if the test was performed at U-M. If your tests were done in the Emergency Room or as part of a hospital admission, from the test results screen click on the “include hospital results” button.

If your outpatient test occurred prior to 08/15/2012 or your inpatient/ED admission occurred prior to 01/07/2014, please contact HIM Release of Information at 734-936-5490 to request copies of your records.

How do I complete online questionnaires?

If you have an upcoming appointment, you can save time at the doctor’s office by filling out patient care forms through your portal account. Access questionnaires on the Appointments tab under Upcoming Appointments. Simply click on the questionnaire to fill it out. Once you submit it, it will be sent to your health care provider’s office.

I completed an online questionnaire. Why did the information not update in my portal yet?

The data that you enter through the portal online questionnaires will not be updated until you attend your scheduled appointment. At that time, your health care provider will review the changes with you and make the updates.

I forgot my password. What should I do?

Click on the “Forgot Password” link on the sign-in page to reset your password. You will be prompted to answer your security question that you set up when you signed up for your account. If you need further assistance, you may contact the Health Information Management department at [email protected], or you can call 734-615-0872, Monday-Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm to request a new, secure password.

Too many failed login attempts. Your account has been disabled. What should I do?

Please contact the Patient Portal Helpdesk at (734) 615-0872, Monday-Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm.

Can you send me a new activation code as I have lost it, let it expire or did not receive it?

On the log-in page under “Need An Activation Code?” click “Request One Now.” Complete the online form and submit. You may also contact the Health Information Management department at [email protected] or you can call 734-615-0872, Monday-Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm. After we verify your information, a new code will be e-mailed to you.

How do I choose a MyUofMHealth username and password?

Choose a MyUofMHealth username and password that is easy for you to remember, but hard for others to guess. Your MyUofMHealth username must be between five and nine characters, but cannot include symbols. Once selected, your MyUofMHealth username cannot be changed.

Your MyUofMHealth password must be a minimum of seven characters and must contain at least one number and one letter. Your password cannot include symbols.

Please keep in mind that only you will know your MyUofMHealth password. The University of Michigan Hospital and Health Centers and the University Health Service will not have access to this information. If you have lost or forgotten your username or password, please contact the Health Information Management department at [email protected] or 734-615-0872, Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm for additional assistance.

How does the password reset question and answer work?

When you signed up for MyUofMHealth, you were asked to enter a password reset question. This will allow you to reset your password if you forget it or want to change it for security reasons. Common password reset questions are: “What is your mother’s maiden name?” or “What is your favorite color?” Enter the answer to your password reset question. For example, if your password reset question was “What is your favorite color?” your password reset answer is the name of your favorite color. Please keep in mind that your password reset answer cannot be the same as your MyUofMHealth password.

Where can I update my personal information (e.g., home address, e-mail or change my password)?

When logged into your MyUofMHealth account, from the left menu, go to the My Account section, and click on Change Demographics. Your records will be updated within 3-5 business days.

Where can I update my email address?

When logged into MyUofMHealth, using the menu on the left, click on My Account > Notifications. Scroll down to the contact information and add your new email address. Remember to click the save changes button.

How is secure?

We take great care to ensure your health information is kept private and secure. Access to information is controlled through secure activation codes, personal ID's, and passwords. Each person controls their password, and the account cannot be accessed without that password. Further, MyUofMHealth uses the latest 128-bit SSL encryption technology with no caching to automatically encrypt your session with MyUofMHealth. Unlike conventional e-mail, all MyUofMHealth messaging is done while you are securely logged on to our website.

What is your privacy policy?

MyUofMHealth is owned and operated by the University of Michigan Hospital and Health Centers and the University Health Service and is fully compliant with federal and state laws pertaining to your privacy. Your name and e-mail address will be treated with the same care and privacy given your health records and will never be sold or leased by the University of Michigan Hospital and Health Centers and the University Health Service.

I was logged out of MyUofMHealth, what happened?

We aim to protect your privacy and security of your information. While logged into MyUofMHealth, if your keyboard remains idle for 20 minutes or more, you will be automatically logged out of MyUofMHealth. We recommend that you log out of your MyUofMHealth session if you need to leave your computer for even a short period of time.

My activation code does not work, what should I do?

For your security, your activation code expires after 30 days if you don’t activate your account. Also, once you do activate your account, the activation code will no longer work. An activation code cannot be reused. If you need a new activation code, email us at [email protected], or you can call our Health Information Management Department at 734-615-0872.

Is my activation code my username?

No, your activation code is not your MyUofMHealth username or password. You will use this code only once to log into MyUofMHealth. for the first time. (The code will expire after you have used it or after 30 days). When you log into MyUofMHealth the first time, you will then be asked to create your own unique MyUofMHealth username and password.

Why am I not receiving e-mails alerting me when there is new information in MyUofMHealth?

MyUofMHealth will automatically send you an e-mail when you have new information in your MyUofMHealth account. If you are not receiving e-mails please review your e-mail notification settings in the Preferences section of the portal. You may also want to verify that we have your current e-mail address on file. To verify your e-mail address click on the “Change e-Mail Address” link to review.

Can I view my portal on my Android or iPhone?

Yes, you can view your portal account by downloading the free MyChart app from Epic Systems Corporation for your Android or iPhone.


Children and Family

Can emancipated minors have access to their MyUofMHealth account?

Yes, emancipated minors may have access to their own MyUofMHealth account. In order to have access granted, the patient will need to provide a copy of the court order emancipating the minor. Please contact the Health Information Management department at [email protected] or 734-615-0872 Monday-Friday 7:30 - 4:00 for additional assistance.

Can a minor 11-17 have access to their MyUofMHealth account?

Yes, in some circumstances, minors age 13-17 may have access to their own MyUofMHealth account. It is recommended that minors discuss this with their provider at their next visit. In order to have access granted, the minor may complete an online patient request form by clicking here. These requests will be forwarded to the patient’s doctor for review and approval. The minor may also request access from their doctor at their next clinic appointment.

How can I view my child’s medical record on MyUofMHealth?

To receive access to your child’s information, complete this online submission form to establish your proxy access. You may also request access at your child’s next clinic appointment. You will be asked to complete a form and given an activation code.

How do I get access to my child’s information?

To receive access to your child’s information, you can request access at your child’s next clinic appointment. You will be asked to complete a form. You will then get an activation code. You can also complete an online submission form by clicking here.

Why can’t I view all of my child’s health information?

To protect the privacy and confidentiality of health information according to state and federal laws as well as UMHHC policy, parents and guardians have full access to their child’s portal account until the child’s 11th birthday. After the 11th birthday, the parent or guardian will only be able to see immunizations, allergies, demographic information, and utilize the secure and confidential messaging features. Please note that full proxy access to your child’s MyUofMHealth account is reserved for parents with children with serious health issues that result in permanent diminished mental capacity. This can only be assigned by a provider familiar with the child’s care. Your access to your child’s portal will be deactivated on his/her 18th birthday. If you still would like to have access to your child’s MyUofMHealth account after their 18th birthday, your (adult) child will need to complete the online form granting you access or they can complete a form at their next clinic appointment.

I once had access to my child’s MyUofMHealth information and now I do not. What happened?

Once your child turns 18, your access to their MyUofMHealth account is deactivated. Your (adult) child can now sign up for his/her own account and complete the necessary form to grant you proxy access. Your child can request their own account online or by requesting an activation code at their next clinic appointment. They can then request for you to have proxy access. They can complete the online proxy request form by clicking here or they can complete a paper form when they come in for their next clinic appointment.

Can a legal guardian, patient advocate, adoptive parent or non-custodial parent have access to a patient’s account?

Yes, proxy access is given to court appointed legal guardians. In order to have access granted, you will need to provide a copy of the court order that grants the legal guardian access to the patient’s medical record. You may complete an online adult proxy request by clicking here or complete a form at the patient’s next clinic appointment. Please contact the Health Information Management department at [email protected] or 734-615-0872, Monday-Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm for additional assistance.

Can I view a family member's health record in MyUofMHealth?

Yes, you can. This is called Proxy access and allows a parent, guardian, or other designated individual (such as a spouse, family member, or friend) to log into their personal MyUofMHealth account, and then connect to information regarding their family member. You can complete a Proxy Consent Form at the clinic or complete the online request form to request access to a child under age 18 or an adult with diminished mental capacity or another adult. Additional information may be required in certain circumstances to demonstrate legal authority to access someone else's portal. You will be contacted if additional documentation is required.

Can I ask questions regarding a family member from my MyUofMHealth account?

You may ask questions regarding your family member when you are viewing their portal. Questions you ask about your family member will become part of their medical record. It is important that you ask questions about your family member when you are viewing their portal as their proxy. This will ensure that your question gets routed to the correct provider.

Can my partner and I share one MyUofMHealth account?

No. Due to the sensitive nature of medical information, each adult must establish their own MyUofMHealth account and then each submit a request for proxy access.


Medical Records

What's in my medical records?

Your medical records include the following:

  • results of all laboratory tests, X-rays, other diagnostic studies, and medical treatment you received while you were hospitalized or treated as an outpatient
  • physician reports from examinations, surgery, treatment and medications
  • observations by nurses and other members of your health care team

What is the Personal Health Record?

The Personal Health Record – or PHR – is a collection of important information that you maintain yourself about your health or the health of someone you’re caring for, such as a parent or a child. PHRs may be short and simple or very detailed. A PHR can be in the form of:

  • paper documents
  • electronic files maintained by you on your personal computer
  • documents you create using tools available through the Internet

Can I have copies of my medical records?

Some of your health information is now available online through our secure patient portal, MyUofMHealth. To request paper copies of UMHS health information, you can use this form:

Records will be sent through the U.S. mail. Our average turnaround time for processing requests is seven business days (exceptions for Radiology exams on CD only are explained below). Records needed for medical emergencies will be faxed directly to a physician or medical facility. There are three ways to submit requests:

  • Drop off at any University of Michigan Hospital or Health Center registration desk
  • Mail to: Release of Information Unit University of Michigan Health System 2901 Hubbard Rd., 2722 Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2435
  • Fax: 734-936-8571

Requests for Radiology Exams on CD (CT, MRI, PET, X-ray, etc.)

Patients can pick up CDs of these exams from 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. at University Hospital (Floor B1, Room D240). Please call Radiology at 734-936-4516 ahead of time to allow ample time for the images to be prepared, or to arrange pickup outside of these hours.

Can my doctor outside of U of M access my records?

At the University of Michigan, we participate in two different health information exchanges that allow other doctors to access information that we’ve collected about their patients. This secure sharing of data improves the quality and safety of the care provided to patients. Patients do have the ability to opt out of an exchange. Learn about how we share health information with other providers.

Sensitive Information

We do not fax sensitive information, per hospital policy and to protect your privacy. Sensitive information includes information about psychiatric, drug and/or alcohol abuse, HIV/AIDS, and sexual abuse. Authorizations to release sensitive information must refer specifically to the information that is to be released.

Family and Friends List for Outpatient Clinics Only

This form documents my request to allow family members and/or friends to be involved in verbal discussions regarding my health care.

If the Family & Friends List is NOT completed, members of the patient’s health care team may still, subject to their professional judgment, share information that is directly relevant about the patient with the patient’s family members or friends who are involved in the care of the patient and/or payment for healthcare.

Birth and Death Certificates

Please contact the Washtenaw County Clerk’s Office at 734-222-6720. The University of Michigan does not provide copies of birth or death certificates.

Requests for Medical Records of Deceased Patients

Records of deceased patients may be released to the designated Personal Representative/Successor Personal Representative as stated in a written will or by the Probate court as either the Executor or Administrator of the deceased person’s estate; the beneficiary of the patient’s life insurance policy; and the Heir at Law (a person who is legally entitled by state law to inherit property of a deceased person when that person dies without a valid will). In addition to Authorization to Release Patient Information form, the Heir at Law should complete the Affidavit of Heir form.

Is There a Charge?

Records requested for reasons other than continuing medical care will be assessed a fee. This includes patients requesting copies for themselves. Fees are outlined on the 2nd page of the Authorization to Release Patient Information from UMHS form (PDF)


Help Line

No Matter Your Questions, We’re Here With Answers. Call us at 1-800-888-9825 to get the information you need.

The University of Michigan Guest Assistance Program Help Line is available to our patients from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday to provide answers for all non-medical questions. Our friendly and highly trained social workers can answer questions on a variety of topics.

While we are often able to answer your questions immediately, sometimes we need to track down information. If we are not able to answer a question during the initial call, we strive to get back to you with an answer either same day or next day.

I’m having trouble finding transportation to my appointment. Does UMHS offer a transportation service?

UMHS does not provide a transportation service. However, the Guest Assistance Program (GAP) can assist you by evaluating all available resources and often providing the coordination of those services to get you to your appointment at UMHS.

I can’t afford my prescription costs or co-pays. What should I do?

The GAP will help to evaluate your insurance coverage and prescription needs and seek out resources that can assist with those costs. We will provide coordination with your medical team to ensure insurance coverage is considered when determining medication needs. We will also provide coordination with our UMHS and outside pharmacies as needed to allow you to retrieve your required medications.

I’m coming from out of town for a UMHS appointment, procedure or admission. Can I be assisted with lodging and meals during my visit?

The UMHS Patient & Visitor Accommodations Program (800-544-8684) can assist you with coordinating lodging at local hotels for a discounted rate. If lodging or meals related to appointments is causing a financial burden, the GAP maybe be able to assist you using a variety of creative solutions and resources to allow you to still attend your medical appointments, procedure or admission.

The cost of medical appointments and treatments is causing a serious financial burden. I’m falling behind on household or medical bills. Can UMHS assist me with these costs?

UMHS Patient Financial Counselors (877-326-9155) can assist you in making payment plans and determining solutions for your UMHS medical bills. The GAP will also assist you in connecting to resources in your community,  or to national and government organizations, that may be able to provide financial assistance related to household needs or medical condition/diagnosis.

Do I have a social worker at my UMHS clinic or inpatient unit? How do I contact them and what can they help me with?

All UMHS patients have social work services available to them. Social workers focus on those personal and often non-medical issues that may accompany health and illness at any time. UMHS social workers provide an array of services that include:

  • Counseling
  • Guidance with care needs
  • Assistance coping with illness/treatment
  • Patient/family education
  • Advocacy
  • Crisis Intervention
  • End of life care/support
  • Emergency financial needs

As a program of the Department of Social Work, the Guest Assistance Program will link patients and families to the appropriate social worker. Please call the GAP to request social work services.

Help Line Contact Information

University Hospital, Room 2B203 (Near Gift Shop and Cashier's Office)
1500 East Medical Center Drive Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5718

Hours: Mon. - Fri., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: 734-764-6893
Toll-free: 800-888-9825



Questions & Answers about the Affordable Care Act - Updated November 12, 2014

In this section, we will post answers to questions about the new options for health care coverage available under the Affordable Care Act (sometimes called Obamacare), and the Healthy Michigan Act for Medicaid expansion -- and the other ways the U-M Health System is adapting to this new era in health care and assisting patients and community members in doing so.

What ACA plans will you accept in 2015?

The number of plans has grown as insurance companies roll out new options and plan to end other plans. Here is the list of participating insurance plans.

Can I get enrollment help from anyone at U-M?

Yes, we have a number of staff who have received training to become Certified Application Counselors. Contact them to discuss your needs, and arrange an in-person appointment. Call 877-326-9155 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, or email [email protected].

We also have trained staff available, by appointment, through our Regional Alliance for Healthy Schools. Call 734-998-5795 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday-Friday, or email [email protected].

Is it too late to enroll?

Enrollment in Healthy Michigan (expanded Medicaid) began April 1, and enrollment will continue year-round for those plans.

For private plans, "Open Enrollment" begins November 15, 2014 and continues through February 15, 2015. But someone who has a qualifying life event during the rest of 2014 can enroll in a Marketplace plan.

I run a community organization. Can your counselors come to our location to help our clients?

Yes. Please use this form to make a request from the Washtenaw Health Initiative. Or email us at [email protected].

Does UMHS offer charity care to people who don't have insurance, or help for people whose ACA plans make them responsible for a percentage of costs?

We do offer M-Support (charity care or financial assistance) for certain patients. The requirements are listed here. We encourage you to connect with our counselors (contact info above) as soon as possible to discuss you options.

M-Support will still be available for those who "fall through the cracks" of the Affordable Care Act's coverage options. Applying for Medicaid or a Marketplace plan is a prerequisite for those seeking new or continued charity or M-Support coverage for UMHS care. If you meet any of the exemptions to the health care law (which are listed at or do not qualify for a plan under the Affordable Care Act, you will be considered for ongoing M-Support coverage. You will be required to apply for one of the new plans and show documented proof of denial.

Will UMHS be able to handle all the new patients that might come to you as a result of the new coverage?

We are building our capacity to serve all patients. We especially look forward to providing advanced care to those who need it, on the advice of their own primary care provider. We believe in the right care, at the right time, and the right place.

If I am a U-M employee or graduate student, do I need to shop on the Marketplace for insurance?

If you have U-M benefits, probably not, all U-M plans meet federal requirements and part of the cost is paid by U-M. However, if you are not eligible for U-M benefits, if you are on a U-M COBRA plan, or if you work part time and need to cover other adults, you may wish to explore your options. Please contact one of our counselors (information above).

My relative/friend does not speak English well. Can you help them?

Yes, we have medical interpreters for many languages available to assist with any conversations between our counselors and community members. You can also share with them these flyers in Spanish, French, Arabic, Japanese, Koren, Russian and Chinese. You can also call our Interpreter Services office at 734-936-7021.

I bought insurance on the individual market before the Affordable Care Act plans took effect. Can I keep my plan?

Michigan's insurance commissioner allowed insurance companies to extend existing plans, though companies can decide not to continue offering these plans. However, you should also check the individual Marketplace, because the plans available there may be less costly or cover more than your current plan. Be sure to look at all out-of-pocket and premium costs, and any subsidies or credits you might qualify for, when comparing.

I enrolled in a private Marketplace plan and I receive subsidies to help me cover the cost of my premiums. What do the recent court rulings about subsidies mean for me?

At this time, there is no impact. The question of whether subsidies can be given to people who bought plans on the federal Marketplace (as opposed to a state-run exchange available in some states) must be settled by the courts, and even after that it could be addressed by Congress or state legislatures.