Counseling and spiritual services can help us through difficult times.
If you or a family member are having emotional or social difficulties related to a hospital stay, our skilled social workers are here to help. They also can assist you with discharge planning, counseling, general information and referrals to community agencies. Social Workers are available 24/7 by contacting the number below.
Patients in University Hospital, call: 734-764-3140
For psychiatric services, call: 734-764-9196
Help with Difficult Moral and Ethical Decisions
The University of Michigan Adult Ethics Committee and Pediatric Ethics Committee can help patients, families and staff to make difficult decisions about medical care. The committees include doctors, nurses, social workers, a lawyer, a chaplain, an administrator, members of the community and people specially trained in medical ethics.
Chaplains are clinically trained clergy/religious leaders who specialize in offering spiritual and emotional care and support to patients and their families and hospital caregivers. Chaplains listen to what is important to each person and remain sensitive to differences in culture, religion and lifestyles. Mott chaplains represent a variety of religions and faith traditions. They have a list of local congregations and can arrange a visit from a religious leader of your choosing.
Our chaplains provide:
- Spiritual counseling
- Requested ritual support: prayers, communion, anointing, baptism, blessing, reconciliation
- Spiritual assessment
- Scheduled worship services
- Regular spiritual care contacts and consultations
- Patient, family and staff care and support
- Educational in-services on spiritual and religious issues
- Participation in ethics consults, family conferences and interdisciplinary rounds
- Liaison with community clergy and faith communities
- Crisis intervention consultation and support
- Bereavement consultations
A clinically trained Chaplain is available 24/7/365 in house or on call. Call 734-936-4041 or Email for more information.
View our brochures for more information
The University Hospital chapel is located on the second floor of University Hospital, room 2A215. The Mott Children’s and Voigtlander Women’s Hospital chapel is located on the second floor, room 2780. Both are open 24 hours a day.
There are also Quiet rooms in the Cardiovascular Center located on:
- Floor 2A Room 001B
- Floor 4 Room 4141
- Catholic Mass in the University Hospital Chapel, room 2A215
- Sunday: 11 a.m.
- Monday through Friday: noon
- Holy days: Please consult staff for service schedule
- Islamic Jum’ah Prayers
Daily in the University Hospital Chapel: 12:35 p.m.
Friday: 1:30 - 2 p.m. in room 2C224, University Hospital
For more information
Spiritual Care Department
University Hospital, Level 2, Room 2A220