Department of Spiritual Care
Chaplains are clinically trained religious and spiritual leaders who specialize in offering spiritual and emotional care and support to patients, their families, and staff. Chaplains listen to what is important to each person, valuing and upholding the diverse strengths of individuals, families, and groups. Chaplains represent a variety of spiritual and religious traditions. Please feel free to contact our office for more information.
Chaplains are available 24/7
- Call our office Mon-Fri 8:30am-5p at 734-936-4041.
- For urgent consults and for after-hours requests, please call the Michigan Medicine operator at (734) 936-4000 and request the chaplain on call be paged.
- If you are a patient, a family member, or visiting in the hospital, please feel free to ask your nurse to page the chaplain on call.
- Email us for more information at [email protected]
View our brochures for more information
Michigan Medicine has 2 chapels that are available 24/7 and open to all people
- University Hospital Chapel: University Hospital, 2nd floor, room 2A215 near the intersection of UH and Taubman (temporarily closed for renovations through 2023)
- The Helen and Mike Vlasic Family Chapel: Mott, 2nd floor, room 2780 near the main entrance.
There are also quiet rooms in the Samuel and Jean Frankel Cardiovascular Center located on:
- Floor 2A, Room 001B
- Floor 4, Room 4141
- Islamic daily prayers: Helen and Mike Vlasic Family Chapel
- Islamic Jumu’ah: Friday 1:30 – 2:00 pm, Helen and Mike Vlasic Family Chapel
- Sunday 11 am, Helen and Mike Vlasic Family Chapel
- Monday through Friday, 12pm, Helen and Mike Vlasic Family Chapel
- Holy days: Please consult staff for service schedule.
- Power of Peace: Wednesday 12 - 12:30 pm, in the Helen and Mike Vlasic Family Chapel
Spiritual Care continues to collaborate with Nutrition Services to provide Kosher and Halal options for patients, families, and staff. Please call Nutrition Services directly at 734-232-3663 with specific questions or concerns.
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
Michigan Medicine offers a variety of education opportunities. Please visit our Clinical Pastoral Education page for additional information on our CPE program.
Please see our CPE Student Handbooklink for Michigan Medicine's policies and information for additional information regarding how our CPE program runs and provides information to our students.
To learn more about CPE and to download the CPE application for Michigan Medicine, please visit the ACPE website
Volunteers, Visiting Clergy and Religious Leaders
Please visit this page for more info on how you can volunteer and for information on visiting your patients at Michigan Medicine.