There are multiple factors that may contribute to feeling excessively sleepy during the day such as:
- Untreated sleep disorders
- Sleep deprivation (short-term or chronic) and
- Other medical conditions can also cause excessive daytime sleepiness.
If excessive sleepiness is a problem that affects the way you function during the day, an evaluation with a certified sleep medicine specialist can help to identify the factors that may be contributing to your daytime sleepiness. This evaluation may include diagnostic testing if certain sleep disorders, such as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) or narcolepsy, are suspected.
The treatment often includes treating any sleep disorders that are identified, and may also involve behavior modification and/or medication.
If you feel excessively sleepy during the day:
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while sleepy.
- If sleepiness or drowsiness develops while you are behind the wheel, it is best to pull over safely, lock the doors and take a nap until you feel alert enough to start driving again.
- If there is a passenger with you who feels alert enough to drive safely, you should switch drivers so that you can nap before you drive again.
Please call 734-936-9068 to schedule a clinic visit.
We will need a referral from your physician before your appointment. We look forward to helping you resolve your sleep issues.