From Ann Arbor to the Upper Peninsula, from Detroit to Grand Rapids, UMHS is here for Michiganders who need our level of expertise, even as we help patients receive better local care across the state. Our impact reaches beyond our state's borders, and around the world.
Caring for patients:
As the map shows, we serve patients from every county of Michigan – and beyond. Patients come to our hospitals and specialty centers for advanced care for a wide range of complex conditions and acute needs.
- We provide more than $429 million worth of community benefit services each year, including more than $257 million in charity care and other uncompensated and unreimbursed care from our hospitals and health centers, as well as $172 million worth of training, research, outreach and more. Learn more about our commitment to the community in this summary and fact sheet.
- At partner sites around the state, U-M clinicians provide cancer care, children’s specialty care, emergency care, heart care and more.
- Our Survival Flight fleet of three helicopters and one jet flies to every corner of the state, providing immediate intensive care in the air and rapid transport for transplant organs.
- U-M Home Care Services sends visiting nurses to provide in-home care for patients in 8 counties, and offers specialized home pharmacy & medical supply/equipment services for patients statewide.
- Our Cancer AnswerLine provides any caller with personalized information on the entire spectrum of cancer issues - from warning signs and detection tests to clinical trials and physician referrals.
- Thousands of Michiganders help us discover the future of medicine each year, by taking part in medical research studies that focus on specific conditions, or just general human health. Find a study that needs your help here.
- Each month, we arrange lodging near our medical campus for hundreds of patients & their loved ones. (Learn more on our Accommodations Program page)
Serving health providers:
- Through M-LINE and other services, we offer referring physicians 24-hour toll-free access to specialists, a service that has been well-received statewide.
- We offer secure online medical record access for physicians through the Great Lakes Health Connect and play an active part in the Michigan Center for Effective IT Adoption - or M-CEITA, a consortium set up to help health care providers across the state with electronic health records
- Through online and in-person continuing medical education and free online care guidelines based on medical evidence, we support the continuous professional development of doctors statewide.
- Our MLabs service provides high-quality diagnostic testing service to more than 30 hospitals, 200 physician practices and several extended care facilities across the state.
- As the State Burn Coordinating Center, we prepare clinicians to respond to disasters statewide.
- We train emergency medical service (EMS) crews in effective techniques and disaster response through our Survival Flight education programs.
Improving care across Michigan:
- We lead or co-lead a number of health care quality & safety initiatives to improve care in hospitals & physician offices statewide.
- We have launched Accountable Care Organizations to help thousands of physicians provide better, less costly care to Medicare beneficiaries, and we run a major Patient Centered Medical Home initiative. Learn more about these and other population health efforts.
- Through our Pennant Health Alliance, Physician Organization of Michigan and Lean for Clinical Redesign eCollaborative, we help hospitals & physicians improve care quality, safety & efficiency.
- Nearly 6,000 of our Medical School graduates and former medical residents/fellows live in Michigan, bringing their U-M training to patients in communities large and small.
Educating tomorrow’s medical professionals and scientists:
- Thousands of students and early-career professionals learn the skills and knowledge needed for their future careers in our hospitals, clinics and laboratories. Learn more about our education programs here and our residency programs for early-career physicians here.
Fueling the economy:
- The total direct & indirect economic impact of U-M hospital expenditures & staff/physician payroll totals nearly $2.5 billion, according to an analysis by Anderson Economic Group for the University Research Corridor.
- The estimated total economic impact of UMHS research funding is more than $1.2 billion a year, based on data from AAMC/Tripp Umbach
- Our researchers account for more than a third of the University of Michigan’s technology transfer activity, including patents, licenses to industry and spinoff companies. This innovation and entrepreneurship helps diversify our economy.
- Learn more about our economic impact here and our tech transfer activity here.
Caring for our environment:
- We take pride in our efforts to reduce the environmental impact of our clinical, research and patient care operations. Read more about our commitment to environmental sustainability here.
Having a global impact:
- Our Medical School takes a global view, partnering with other medical schools and health institutions in key countries to enhance care through research, training and exchanges of students and faculty. Learn more here.