Medical Records

Questions may be directed to the Release of Information Unit at 734-936-5490

What's in Your Medical Records?

Your medical record includes the following:

  • results of all laboratory tests, X-rays, other diagnostic studies, and medical treatment you received while you were hospitalized or treated as an outpatient
  • physician reports from examinations, surgery, treatment and medications
  • observations by nurses and other members of your health care team 

Can my doctor outside of U of M access my records?

At the University of Michigan, we participate in two different health information exchanges that allow other doctors to access information that we’ve collected about their patients. This secure sharing of data improves the quality and safety of the care provided to patients. Patients do have the ability to opt out of an exchange. Read our FAQs about how we share health information with other providers.

Can I have copies of my medical records?

Some of your health information is now available online through our secure patient portal, Learn more about the patient portal. To request paper copies of UMHS health information, you can use this form:

Records will be sent through the U.S. mail. Our average turnaround time for processing requests is seven business days (exceptions for Radiology exams on CD only are explained below).  Records needed for medical emergencies will be faxed directly to a physician or medical facility. There are three ways to submit requests:  

  • Drop off at any University of Michigan Hospital or Health Center registration desk 
  • Mail to: Release of Information Unit University of Michigan Health System 2901 Hubbard Rd., 2722 Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2435 
  • Fax: 734-936-8571

Sensitive Information

We do not fax sensitive information, per hospital policy and to protect your privacy.  Sensitive information includes information about psychiatric, drug and/or alcohol abuse, HIV/AIDS, and sexual abuse. Authorizations to release sensitive information must refer specifically to the information that is to be released.

Is There a Charge?

Records requested for reasons other than continuing medical care will be assessed a fee. This includes patients requesting copies for themselves. Fees are outlined on the 2nd page of the Authorization to Release Patient Information from UMHS form (PDF)

Family and Friends List for Outpatient Clinics Only

This form documents my request to allow family members and/or friends to be involved in verbal discussions regarding my health care.

If the Family & Friends List is NOT completed, members of the patient’s health care team may still, subject to their professional judgment, share information that is directly relevant about the patient with the patient’s family members or friends who are involved in the care of the patient and/or payment for healthcare

Requests for Medical Records of Deceased Patients

Records of deceased patients may be released to the designated Personal Representative/Successor Personal Representative as stated in a written will or by the Probate court as either the Executor or Administrator of the deceased person’s estate; the beneficiary of the patient’s life insurance policy; and the Heir at Law (a person who is legally entitled by state law to inherit property of a deceased person when that person dies without a valid will).  In addition to Authorization to Release Patient Information form, the Heir at Law should complete the Affidavit of Heir form below.

Requests for Radiology Exams on CD (CT, MRI, PET, X-ray, etc.)

Patients can pick up CDs of these exams from 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. at University Hospital (Floor B1, Room D240).  Please call Radiology at 734-936-4516 ahead of time to allow ample time for the images to be prepared, or to arrange pickup outside of these hours.

Personal Health Record

The Personal Health Record – or PHR – is a collection of important information that you maintain yourself about your health or the health of someone you’re caring for, such as a parent or a child. PHRs may be short and simple or very detailed. A PHR can be in the form of:

  • paper documents
  • electronic files maintained by you on your personal computer
  • documents you create using tools available through the Internet

For more information, see Understanding the difference between an Electronic Health Record (EHR) and a Personal Health Record (PHR)  (PDF)

Birth and Death Certificates

Please contact the Washtenaw County Clerk’s Office of Records and Deeds at 734-222-6720. The University of Michigan does not provide copies of birth or death certificates.

Notary Public

The Guest Assistance Program notarizes documents free of charge for patients.