Outpatient Neurorehabilitation at University of Michigan Health offers specialized services designed to support recovery, as well as adjustment to changes resulting from injury or disease affecting the brain or spinal cord.
Comprehensive neurorehabilitation services
Our highly experienced team provides expertise in neurorehabilitation to support participation in home, work, and community-based activities. Services and support include:
- Comprehensive assessment and treatment from a team of specialists in a compassionate and creative environment
- Personalized treatment plans designed in partnership with you, focusing on your individual needs and goals
- Assessment and treatment of cognitive, emotional, and behavioral concerns with rehabilitation psychology and neuropsychology
- Home activity plans designed to promote recovery and return to typical activities
A key component of a successful therapy program is helping an individual transfer newly learned skills from the clinic setting to everyday life. We meet regularly with you to review your therapy plan and assist in helping transfer progress made in therapy to home, work, and community activities.
Individuals who experience a complex injury or disease that affects the nervous system may benefit from comprehensive neurorehabilitation to help achieve their greatest long-term potential. Our services are designed for those with the following conditions:
- Traumatic and acquired brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Infections of the brain, such as encephalitis
- Seizure disorder
- Functional Movement Disorder
- Other acquired problems that affect the brain or central nervous system
We work with patients who have conditions ranging from mild to severe, using multiple therapies and treatments to improve functional cognition, activities of daily living, and mobility.
Our team-based approach to care
Patients receive the best possible care when they work closely with our Neurorehabilitation Team. Our multidisciplinary approach offers specialists in:
- Occupational therapy (OT)
- Physical therapy (PT)
- Rehabilitation psychology / neuropsychology (RPN)
- Speech-language pathology (SLP)
- Therapeutic recreation
- Case management
- Consultation with rehabilitation engineering, dieticians, and other providers
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with all members of an individual’s care team to coordinate treatment. We work in partnership with primary care physicians, specialists in Neurology and Neurosurgery, as well as specialists in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation who have expertise in Brain Injury Rehabilitation, Stroke Rehabilitation, and Spinal Cord Injuries.
Make an Appointment
For more information or to make an appointment, call 734-936-7070.