The University of Michigan offers comprehensive care for patients with COPD. Our expert healthcare team includes pulmonary physicians, nurses, dieticians, social workers, tobacco cessation specialists and respiratory therapists. Our clinic is equipped to care for a wide range of patients including the newly diagnosed, those who may have recently been discharged from the hospital and those interested in advanced therapies including lung volume reduction surgery and lung transplant.
The goals of our program are to:
- Reduce symptoms
- Improve exercise tolerance
- Educate patients about their disease
- Prevent future complications
- Help patients lead fuller and better lives
During their visit, patients can expect assistance with the following issues:
- Assessment of disease severity and recommendation regarding optimal medications
- Tobacco cessation counseling if needed
- Assessment of need for oxygen and respiratory assist devices
- Referral to pulmonary rehabilitation for patients with exercise limitations
- Social support including access to social workers in addition to the COPD patient community at the University of Michigan that meets regularly through our Better Breathers Club.
|Clinic Appointments: Friday||7:30 am - 12 p.m.|