What is Child & Family Life?
The Child and Family Life department at Brighton Center for Specialty Care is made up of trained professionals with expertise in helping reduce stress and anxiety associated with healthcare experiences. Child life specialists partner with doctors, nurses, social workers and others to meet the unique emotional, developmental and cultural needs of children and their families. Child life specialists promote effective coping through play, procedure preparation, procedure support, diagnosis education, and self-expression activities.
Top 10 Reasons to Request Child & Family Life
If you or your family member:
- Would benefit from preparation for a procedure or surgery
- Needs distraction/support during or after a procedure
- Experiences anxiety during healthcare encounters
- Is having an experience for the first time or has had a negative past experience
- Needs medical procedures or terminology explained in child friendly terms
- Is alone or needs a supportive advocate
- Has just been diagnosed with a chronic illness
- Has just experienced a loss or traumatic event
- Has special developmental needs
- Has difficulty coping with procedures or treatment
We are Here for You
Please don’t hesitate to request services during your visit to Brighton Center for Specialty Care. Child Life Services are available Monday through Friday 7:00am – 3:30pm.
If you would like to speak to a child life specialist, please call 810-263-4944.