The Michigan Medicine Adult Bariatric Surgery Program offers a comprehensive, personalized weight loss surgery program designed to help patients reach their health goals.
If you are struggling to lose weight, are over the age of 18 years old, and are willing to make a lifelong commitment to your health, weight loss surgery may be for you.
If you’ve explored the resources on this site and are ready to start your weight loss journey, watch our bariatric surgery informational video or call 734-936-5738 to schedule a new patient consultation.
Surgeries We Offer
For more information about the surgeries we offer, visit our Types of Bariatric Surgery page.
Gastric Bypass (Roux-en-Y)
Gastric bypass surgery involves dividing the stomach to create a gastric pouch and surgically connecting the small intestine to the pouch.
Sleeve gastrectomy surgery involves the surgical division and removal of approximately 80-85% of the stomach.
For information on endoscopic bariatric procedures, like the gastric balloon, visit the Endoscopic Bariatric Therapy (EBT) page.
For information on non-surgical weight loss options, visit the Adult Weight Management and Obesity page.
Bariatric Surgery Works
The benefits of bariatric surgery extend beyond weight loss. The procedure has been shown to improve medical conditions related to obesity, including:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Sleep apnea
Currently, bariatric surgery is the only treatment recognized as effective by the NIH to combat severe obesity and maintain weight loss in the long term.
Our Program: Life-Long Support
Our bariatric program guides patients through their entire journey, from deciding which procedure is best, to care and counseling after surgery. Our team includes:
- Physician Assistants
- Registered Dietitians
Our accredited program also includes:
- Efficient enrollment process
- Online learning resources for an enhanced, convenient patient experience
- Streamlined approach to minimize the number of appointments
- Thorough evaluations customized for individual patients
- Lifelong follow-up with the Michigan Medicine team
How to Get Started
- Watch our bariatric surgery informational video and take the follow-up quiz (this link opens a new window).
- Call 734-936-5738 to schedule a new patient consultation at our Ann Arbor or Chelsea location.