Ann Arbor Meals on Wheels seeks to reduce hunger and food insecurity for homebound adults in Ann Arbor who are frail, medically compromised, or have a short- or long-term disability that impacts their ability to shop and prepare complete nutritious meals.
In order to limit the amount of contact between clients, volunteers and staff due to COVID-19, AAMOW has consolidated our meal delivery days from six days/week (Monday-Saturday) into three days/week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).
Clients still receive the same number of fresh, prepared meals each week on this consolidated schedule. Staff conduct regular wellness checks over the phone with all of our clients and provide social work support that includes addressing tangible needs through our personal care items pantry and other community resources as well as making referrals to additional community supports.
Find Out More
In order to be eligible to receive services from AAMOW, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Be homebound according to the AAMOW definition with the exception of medical appointments and occasional outings
- Need Meals on Wheels for a minimum of three (3) weeks unless otherwise approved
- Not able to obtain food or prepare complete, nutritious meals
- Have a spouse, child, caregiver, or another person who is unable/unwilling to provide meals
- Not able to participate in a congregate (e.g. senior center or other group) nutrition program
- Agree to an initial assessment prior to receiving meals (except in emergency situations or for MI Choice Waiver clients) and reassessments every six (6) months thereafter
- Have dietary needs that can be appropriately met by AAMOW without jeopardizing the health of a client
- Agree to be home when meals are delivered and follow meal cancellation guidelines
- Live in our service area
A client's spouse or unpaid caregiver may also be eligible to receive meals if AAMOW determines receipt of a meal is in the best interest of the client.
Referrals to AAMOW for eligible individuals can be made by those seeking services as well as their loved ones, caregivers, social workers, medical providers, etc. If you are referring someone else, please make sure that they are aware of the referral before you send it.
The first step of the process is to complete the meal request form, which can be accessed by clicking on the button below, and return it to the AAMOW office by fax or mail. You may also call the AAMOW office to provide this information over the phone.
- Mail: Ann Arbor Meals on Wheels, 3621 S. State Street, Suite 650, Ann Arbor, MI 48108
- Phone: 734-998-6686
- Fax #: 734-998-6277
Please note that in order to protect client confidentiality and any personal health information, this form cannot be returned by email. Potential clients are encouraged to return the completed form or call the AAMOW office prior to scheduled hospitalizations if meals may be needed during the recovery process.
Once a referral/request for meals has been received, AAMOW will contact the prospective client within three (3) business days to complete the intake process. If the prospective client appears to be eligible for services, an initial assessment will be scheduled with a member of our social work team.
It may take up to two weeks after the initial assessment before the first meal is delivered. Reassessments are conducted every six (6) months thereafter to determine ongoing eligibility and make any needed referrals or connections to additional community supports.
Due to COVID-19, AAMOW staff are currently in the office from 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and working remotely on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Please leave a voicemail if we are unable to answer your call and we will follow up as soon as possible.
Ann Arbor Meals on Wheels uses a 4-week cyclical menu and provides Western (meat and vegetarian), Asian, gluten-free, and liquid meal options (for those who are at nutritional risk). Patient Food and Nutrition Services at Michigan Medicine prepares our Western, gluten-free and cold bag meals. Lucky Kitchen prepares our Asian meals. Clients can contact the AAMOW office with any questions about their menu options.
View the menus:
- Western Meal Menu
- Asian Meal Menu (coming soon)
- Gluten-Free Meal Menu (coming soon)