Information for Reporters and Editors
Visit our Newsroom for a combined feed of all the stories we produce.
Receive stories as soon as they are published via our RSS feeds:
Michigan Medicine News Announcements | Michigan Health Lab (research & education stories) | Michigan Health Blog (features & health tips)
For expert sources, information on our press releases, or other immediate help, call 734-764-2220 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday.
For requests with non-urgent deadlines, send a message to MichMedmedia@med.umich.edu.
After business hours or on weekends or holidays, members of the media may call 734-764-2220 to page a media team member for patient condition reports or highly urgent matters.
- For news-related updates on patients in our hospitals: First, read these guidelines for release of one-word patient conditions. Any further information release to the media, or visit to a patient, requires a signed consent from the patient or his/her legal representative, and must be arranged through our team.
- Any visit by media to our facilities requires advance approval and an escort by a member of our team.
Our main "beats" are listed below; click the name to e-mail the media team member you want to reach. For urgent inquiries, call 734-764-2220 and ask to speak with her or him. If you don't see the topic you need help with, call us!
- Mary Masson, Director of Public Relations - UMHS leadership and administration
- Ed Bottomley, Social Media Strategist
- Nicole Fawcett, Cancer. Bio Information
- Ian Demsky, Cancer. Bio Information
- Mary Clare Fischer: Cancer, Urology, Transplant and General Surgery.
- Noah Fromson: Comprehensive Musculoskeletal Center, Orthopedics, Rehabilitation, Emergency Medicine, Survival Flight, Radiology, Rheumatology, Dermatology and Allergy
- Kara Gavin, Institute for Healthcare Policy & Innovation (IHPI), General Medicine/Hospital Medicine, Psychiatry/Addiction, Geriatrics, Family Medicine. Bio Information
- Jordyn Imhoff, Diabetes/Endocrinology, Kellogg Eye Center, Nephrology and Michigan Health Blog writer. Bio Information
- Kelly Malcom, Basic biomedical science research, health policy, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Infectious Disease, Pathology and Anesthesiology. Bio Information
- Beata Mostafavi, Children’s Health/C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, Women’s Health. Bio Information
- Haley Otman, Neurosciencesand Cardiology. Bio Information
- Jina Sawani Musto, U-M Medical School, Gastroenterology/Digestive diseases, Otolaryngology and Government Relations. Bio Information
The Michigan Medicine media team is part of the Department of Communication.
Other Media Contacts at U-M:
- All other academic areas of U-M (including Public Health, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Social Work, Kinesiology): Michigan News, 734-764-7260
- Institution-wide news and issues: Office of Public Affairs, 734-936-5190
- Police/fire news: Division of Public Safety & Security, 734 -936-2323
Michigan Health Lab Stories about our research and innovations in clinical care and biomedical education, published daily
Michigan Health Blog Stories of our patients, and advice from our clinicians for healthy living and disease care
Michigan Medicine Headlines (published daily for faculty and staff of Michigan Medicine)
Medicine at Michigan magazine (published by the Medical Development office)