Michigan Medicine is known nationally and around the world for excellence in patient care, education and research. Here is a shortlist of links to articles about what others think about our work.
Recognition for overall patient care excellence
- University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers have achieved Magnet status – the highest institutional honor awarded for nursing excellence – from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Read more.
- Michigan Medicine hospitals ranked No. 6 in the country by U.S. News & World Report
- U-M’s C.S. Mott Children's Hospital earns top rankings from U.S. News & World Report
- 493 UMHS physicians voted among "American's Best Doctors" by their peers
- Leaders and best: U-M Health System ranked among 100 Top Hospitals in the U.S. (2013)
- C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital named to Parents Magazine’s 10 Best Children’s Hospitals list
- Among the best in the U.S.: Award recognizes UMHS for high-quality, safe care
- UMHS wins National Research Corporation’s 2012 Consumer Choice Award
- U-M Health System named to national list of top 100 health networks
- U-M Hospitals rank among finest in AARP The Magazine and Thomson/Reuters Top 100 Hospitals surveys
- UMHS honored by American Hospital Association for high quality care and patient safety
See also the UMHS Quality & Safety site to see how our quality, safety and outcomes compare with other health care providers.
Recognition for specific types of care
- UMHS names a great place to work by Becker's Healthcare
- UMHS earns Comprehensive Stroke Center accreditation from Joint Commission
- Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative named as one of 77 federal patient safety organizations nationwide
- University of Michigan receives national award for eliminating healthcare-associated pneumonia from US Department of Health and Human Services
- UMHS earns patient safety award for blood clot prevention (deep vein thrombosis)
- UMHS leads Blue Cross Blue Shield / American College of Surgeons Statewide Trauma Quality Care Initiative
- U-M improves preventive, chronic care and saves Medicare more than $15 million
- UMHS Surgical Intensive Care Unit earns 2010 American Association of Critical-Care Nurses Beacon Award for Critical Care Excellence
Recognition as a top employer
- UMHS named among America’s best employers by Forbes
- UMHHC named among top 100 hospitals and top 15 teaching hospitals in U.S.
- U-M Health System recognized as National Top Workplace
- U-M Health System recognized as one of this year's best and brightest companies to work for in Metro Detroit
- For second straight year, UMHS named a great place to work by Detroit Free Press and Metropolitan Detroit
Recognition for education & research
- U-M Medical School ranked 10th among research-based medical school, 5th among medical schools for primary care training
- U.S. Fire Administration names UMHS Trauma Burn Center's Straight Talk Program 1 of 8 successful youth firesetting intervention programs