Reporters and editors: For expert sources, information on our press releases, or other immediate help, call 734-764-2220 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday. (See listing of our team members and their beats below.)
For requests with non-urgent deadlines, send a message to UMHSmedia@umich.edu.
After business hours (from 5 to 11 p.m. and 7 to 8 a.m. ET), and from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. on weekends and holidays, members of the media may call the UMHS operators at 734-936-6267 and receive assistance with patient condition reports from the staff of M-LINE. Highly urgent matters may be escalated to a media team member.
For news-related updates on patients in our hospitals: First, read these guidelines for release of one-word patient conditions. Any further information release to the media requires a signed consent from the patient or his/her legal representative, and must be arranged through Public Relations.
If you work or study at U-M and you have a story idea or need assistance with a news-related matter, call our office. For general tips and guidelines on working with reporters, see this page (available to U-M computer users only).
Our Media Team
Our main "beats" are listed below; click the name to e-mail the media team member you want to reach. For urgent inquiries, call 734-764-2220 and ask to speak with her or him. If you don't see the topic you need help with, call us!
- Nicole Fawcett, cancer
- Kara Gavin, Institute for Healthcare Policy & Innovation, basic sciences/stem cells, North Campus Research Complex, Medical School administration/medical education, quality/safety, finance, emergency medicine
- Shantell Kirkendoll, adult heart and vascular disease, diabetes, surgery, digestive health, infectious diseases, nephrology, pain
- Mary Masson, children's health, organ transplant
- Beata Mostafavi, primary care, geriatrics, women's health, orthopaedics, rheumatology, rehabilitation, pharmacy, IT/medical records
- Michael Steigmeyer, facilities, environment, security, human resources issues
The UMHS media team reports to the Director of Public Relations. It is part of the UMHS Department of Communication, headed by Denise Gray-Felder, UMHS Chief Communications Officer.
Other media contacts at U-M:
- Kellogg Eye Center: Betsy Nisbet
- For news from the health sciences colleges at U-M (Public Health, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Social Work, Kinesiology), and other academic areas, call the U-M News Service at 734-764-7260.
- For institution-wide news and issues, call the Office of Public Affairs, 734-936-5190.
- For police/fire news, call Diane Brown, Division of Public Safety & Security, 734 -936-2323.