Reporters and editors: For expert sources, information on our press releases, or other immediate help, call 734-764-2220 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday. (See listing of our team members and their beats below.)
For requests with non-urgent deadlines, send a message to UMHSmedia@umich.edu.
After business hours (from 5 to 11 p.m. and 7 to 8 a.m. ET), and from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. on weekends and holidays, members of the media may call the UMHS operators at 734-936-6267 and receive assistance with patient condition reports from the staff of M-LINE. Highly urgent matters may be escalated to a media team member.
For news-related updates on patients in our hospitals: First, read these guidelines for release of one-word patient conditions. Any further information release to the media requires a signed consent from the patient or his/her legal representative, and must be arranged through Public Relations.
Our Media Team
Our main "beats" are listed below; click the name to e-mail the media team member you want to reach. For urgent inquiries, call 734-764-2220 and ask to speak with her or him. If you don't see the topic you need help with, call us!
- Kara Gavin, nervous system/neuroscience, basic sciences/stem cells, North Campus Research Complex, Medical School administration/medical education, quality/safety, finance, emergency medicine
- Nicole Fawcett, cancer
- Shantell Kirkendoll, adult heart and vascular disease, diabetes, surgery, digestive health, infectious diseases, nephrology, pain
- Mary Masson, women's health, children's health, organ transplant
- Beata Mostafavi, primary care, geriatrics, orthopaedics, rheumatology, rehabilitation, pharmacy, IT/medical records
- Michael Steigmeyer, facilities, environment, security, human resources issues
The UMHS media team reports to the Director of Public Relations. It is part of the UMHS Department of Public Relations & Marketing Communications, headed by Denise Gray-Felder, UMHS Chief Communications Officer.
Other media contacts at U-M:
- Kellogg Eye Center: Betsy Nisbet
- For news from the health sciences colleges at U-M (Public Health, Dentistry, Nursing, Social Work, Kinesiology), and other academic areas, call the U-M News Service at 734-764-7260.
- For institution-wide news and issues, call the Office of Public Affairs, 734-936-5190.
- For police/fire news, call Diane Brown, Department of Public Safety & Security, 734 -936-2323.