Reporters and editors: For expert sources, information on our press releases, or other immediate help, call 734-764-2220 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday.
For requests with non-urgent deadlines, send a message to UMHSmedia@umich.edu.
After business hours (from 5 to 11 p.m. and 7 to 8 a.m. ET), and from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. on weekends and holidays, members of the media may call the UMHS operators at 734-936-6267 and receive assistance with patient condition reports from the staff of M-LINE. Highly urgent matters may be escalated to a media team member.
- For news-related updates on patients in our hospitals: First, read these guidelines for release of one-word patient conditions. Any further information release to the media, or visit to a patient, requires a signed consent from the patient or his/her legal representative, and must be arranged through our team.
- If you work or study at U-M and you have a story idea or need assistance with a news-related matter, call our office. For general tips and guidelines on working with reporters, see this page (available to U-M computer users only).
Our main "beats" are listed below; click the name to e-mail the media team member you want to reach. For urgent inquiries, call 734-764-2220 and ask to speak with her or him. If you don't see the topic you need help with, call us!
- Mary Masson, Director of Institutional Positioning - organ transplant, UMHS leadership and administration
- Nicole Fawcett, cancer
- Kara Gavin, Institute for Healthcare Policy & Innovation (IHPI), U-M Medical School, Psychiatry, General Medicine, Basic Science research
- Shantell Kirkendoll, Adult heart, Gastroenterology, Infectious Disease, General Surgery
- Beata Mostafavi, Children’s Health/C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, Women’s Health, Family Medicine, Allergy
- Kylie O’Brien: Musculoskeletal, Orthopedics, Rehabilitation, Emergency Medicine, Diabetes, Rheumatology
- Haley Otman: Neurology, Pain, Geriatrics, Ear Nose & Throat, Urology, Dermatology
- Michael Steigmeyer, facilities, environment, security, human resources issues
The UMHS media team is part of the UMHS Department of Communication, headed by Denise Gray-Felder, UMHS Chief Communications Officer.
Other media contacts at U-M:
- Kellogg Eye Center
- Life Sciences Institute: Ian Demsky
- All other academic areas of U-M (including Public Health, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Social Work, Kinesiology): U-M News Service, 734-764-7260
- Institution-wide news and issues: Office of Public Affairs, 734-936-5190
- Police/fire news: Diane Brown, Division of Public Safety & Security, 734 -936-2323