December 2022 Update: Volunteer Services is pleased to announce that the application for new, general volunteers is now open for the Winter session! Please visit the New Volunteers page to view volunteer requirements, then click “General Volunteers” for instructions on how to apply. Please note, we can only accept a limited number of applications based on available volunteer placements, so it is important to apply as soon as you are able to meet the requirements. Volunteer Services continues to accept applications for pre-approved volunteers. See the link below for more information about the pre-approved volunteer application process.
All volunteers in the health system are screened through the Volunteer Services department.
Definition of Volunteer: Any person 18 years of age or older who donates services without receiving monetary compensation or academic credit within the University of Michigan Health System and its programs. (SPG-UMHHC Policy 01-05-001)
Applications for prospective volunteers who are Pre-Approved by a department, unit, lab, clinic, research area, or placement supervisor must be submitted to Volunteer Services for processing before the applicant can begin his/her volunteer service.
Typically, prospective volunteers are referred by a placement supervisor or volunteer positions are posted by individual departments, and the applicant is pre-screened by the supervisor and accepted as a volunteer. Volunteer Services does not recruit for, nor determine the appropriateness of, the volunteer for the position. Review the Michigan Medicine volunteer requirements on the New Volunteers page.
Information for Pre-Approved Volunteers
- Registers volunteer in the UMHS system
- Issues Michigan Medicine volunteer ID badge
- Issues volunteer uniform (if applicable)
- Coordinates health screening with Occupational Health Services
- Obtains signed Code of Conduct Attestation (HIPAA) form
- Conducts criminal background records checks
- Confirms eligibility of applicants with visas with Immigration Compliance department
- Provides orientation to Michigan Medicine
- Documents volunteer schedule and hours served as provided by volunteer
- Updates volunteer information and certifications annually
Step 1: Supervisor supplies volunteer with placement information for the application including:
- Department Name
- Department Head
- Pre-Approved Placement
- Department Campus Address
- Department Phone
- Pre-Approved Placement Supervisor’s Name
- Pre-Approved Placement Supervisor’s Email Address
- Pre-Approved Placement Supervisor’s Phone Number
- Volunteer’s Work Location (Building and Room)
- A Description of the Volunteer’s Duties – Please be specific if there will be patient contact or not
- Visa holders: Please be sure to have a copy of your Visa and supporting documentation (such as an I-20 or I-94) on hand.
Step 2: Volunteer completes the application (see Item 9) and submits it to Volunteer Services.
Step 3: Applications must be resubmitted if applicants do not respond to Volunteer Services within 30 days.
Step 4: The duration of the volunteer assignment must be a minimum of 1 month and must be renewed 30 days prior to the completion of 1 year.
Step 5: Volunteers must be a minimum of 18 years of age or older.
Step 6: The volunteer records hours of service through the volunteer portal by checking in and out of each shift.
Step 7: Volunteers working in a lab must complete OSEH training (coordinated by the placement).
Step 8: Volunteers in the U.S. on a visa must be approved for volunteering by the Immigration Compliance department.
Step 9: Access the online application.