May 2022 Update: Thank you for your interest in Michigan Medicine. As pandemic restrictions continue to ease, Volunteer Services is working to place returning volunteers in key positions and reengage those volunteers whose assignments were paused due to COVID-19. Recruitment of new volunteers remains temporarily on pause until completion of this phase. Please continue to check our website for updates. Meanwhile, our staff is available via email and will be happy to answer your questions: email@example.com(link sends e-mail)
Are you a new or prospective volunteer? Review our Volunteer Requirements below, then choose the category below that best describes you.
Please note that while you may request to work as a volunteer in a specific area, your preferences cannot be guaranteed, and all new volunteer positions are assigned based on the organization’s needs. For a list of opportunities, visit our main Volunteer Services page.
For New or Prospective Volunteers
- Must be aged 18 years or older. The high school/teen volunteer program previously managed by Volunteer Services has been discontinued.
- 2nd semester college/university students or upper classes required
- Commitment to one, 2-4 hour shift per week for a minimum of six months or two complete semesters for students
- Maximum of two shifts per week
- View Virtual Volunteer Information Session (availability TBA)
- Completion of application process
- Proof of identity and citizenship status
- Reference check and criminal background screening
- Adherence to Michigan Medicine agreements, including Code of Conduct; commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; and understanding of health and safety protocols
- Completion of vaccination and medical requirements, including COVID-19 vaccination series and booster, and seasonal flu vaccine
- Volunteer orientation and training
- Placement interview
- Returning volunteers must complete an annual update to renew their credentials. Visit our Returning Volunteers page for more information.
General volunteers include community members, college students, and graduate students who would like Volunteer Services help in finding a volunteer placement. Please follow the steps below to begin your Michigan Medicine volunteer experience.
The high school/teen volunteer program previously managed by Volunteer Services has been discontinued. Individuals must be aged 18 or older to volunteer.
For those who have a pre-established placement in a lab, clinic or research area. See our Pre-Approved Placements page for details.
Volunteer Services Department
L2616 UH South
1500 East Medical Center Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5237
Directions to the Volunteer Services office(link is external)