September 2022 Update: The general volunteer application for the fall semester is now closed. The application for the winter semester will open December 1 after 8:00 a.m. Volunteer Services continues to accept applications for pre-approved volunteers. See the link below for more information about the pre-approved volunteer application process.
Are you a new or prospective volunteer? Review our Volunteer Requirements below, then choose the category from the drop-down that best describes you.
Please note that while you may request to work as a volunteer in a specific area, your preferences cannot be guaranteed, and all new volunteer positions are assigned based on the organization’s needs and volunteers' availability. For a list of opportunities, visit our main Volunteer Services page.
For New or Prospective Volunteers
- Must be aged 18 years or older. The high school/teen volunteer program previously managed by Volunteer Services has been discontinued.
- 2nd semester college/university students or upper classes required
- Commitment to one, 2-4 hour shift per week for a minimum of six months or two complete semesters for students
- Maximum of two shifts per week
- View Virtual Volunteer Information Session (See General Volunteers below)
- Completion of application process
- Proof of identity and citizenship status
- Reference check and criminal background screening
- Adherence to Michigan Medicine agreements, including Code of Conduct; commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; and understanding of health and safety protocols
- Completion of vaccination and medical requirements, including COVID-19 vaccination series and booster, and seasonal flu vaccine
- Volunteer orientation and training
- Placement interview
- Returning volunteers must complete an annual update to renew their credentials. Visit our Returning Volunteers page for more information.
General volunteers include community members, college students, and graduate students who would like Volunteer Services help in finding a volunteer placement. Please view this Volunteer Information Session video for information on the Michigan Medicine Volunteer Program and instructions on how to apply and begin your volunteer experience.
The high school/teen volunteer program previously managed by Volunteer Services has been discontinued. Individuals must be aged 18 or older to volunteer.
For those who have a pre-established placement in a lab, clinic or research area. See our Pre-Approved Placements page for details.