Dr. Mark Riederer, a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, did his undergraduate training in biomedical engineering at the Boston University College of Engineering. After graduating summa cum laude, he attended medical school at the Boston University School of Medicine. He completed a general pediatrics residency at the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. He practiced pediatric hospital medicine for 9 years prior to completing a fellowship in pediatric primary care sports medicine. He has been practicing pediatrics since 2004, pediatric sports medicine since 2014, is a Team Physician for local area high schools and the University of Michigan. He enjoys hiking, biking, traveling and flying in his off time.
Peer Reviewed Publications
1. Riederer M. Index of Suspicion. Pediatr Rev. June 2005. A case of late-onset Group B
Streptococcal meningitis in two-week-old twins.
2. Chawla S, Riederer M. Angioedema. Clin Pediatr. October 2007. pp. 748-751.
3. Kunde S, Riederer M, Moltz K. Chronic Illness. Clin Pediatr. June 2008. pp. 514-
4. Riederer MF. Respiratory Failure in the Common Clinical Diagnosis and Conditions
section of The Pediatric Hospital Medicine Core Competencies Supplement. Stucky ER,
Maniscalco J, Ottolini, MC (editors) Journal of Hospital Medicine, 2010 Apr; 5(S2):98-
99. Published online, 2010 Apr 8; DOI: 10.1002/jhm.768.
5. Mansbach JM, Piedra PA, Teach SJ, Sullivan AF, Forgey T, Clark S, Espinola JA,
Camargo CA Jr,, for the MARC-30 Investigators. Prospective multicenter study of viral
etiology and hospital length of stay in children with severe bronchiolitis. Arch Pediatr
Adolesc Med. 2012 Aug,166(8):700-6. Member of MARC-30 Investigators, Riederer
6. Mansbach JM, Piedra PA, Stevenson MD, Sullivan AF, Forgey TF, Clark S, Espinola JA,
Camargo CA Jr., for the MARC-30 Investigators. Prospective multicenter study of
children with bronchiolitis requiring mechanical ventilation. Pediatrics. 2012
Sep;130(3):e492-500. Epub 2012 Aug 6. Member of MARC-30 Investigators, Riederer
7. Upchurch C, Morgan C, Umfress A, Yang G, Riederer M. Discharge instructions for
youth sports-related concussions in the emergency department, 2004 to 2012. Clin J
Sport Med. 2014 Jun.
8. Macias C, Mansbach J, Fischer E, Riederer M, Piedra P, Sullivan A, Espinola J,
Camargo C. Variability in Inpatient Management of Children Hospitalized With
Bronchiolitis. Acad Pediatr. 2015 Jan-Feb;15(1):69-76.
9. Khodaee M, Riederer M, VanBaak K, Hill J. Ultra-Endurance Athletes With Type 1
Diabetes: Leadville 100 Experience. Wilderness & Environmental Medicine. Wilderness
Environ Med. 2015 Jun;26(2):273-5.
10. Mansbach JM, Clark S, Piedra PA, Macias CG, Schroeder AR, Pate BM, Sullivan AF,
Espinola JA, Camargo CA Jr; MARC 30 Investigators. Hospital course and discharge
criteria for children hospitalized with bronchiolitis. J Hosp Med. 2015 Apr;10(4):205-11.
Member of MARC-30 Investigators, Riederer MF.
11. O’Donnell K, Mansbach JM, LoVecchio F, Cheng J, Piedra PA, Clark S, Sullivan AF,
Camargo CA Jr; MARC-30 Investigators. Use of cough and cold medications in severe
bronchiolitis before and after a health advisory warning against their use. J Pediatr. 2015
Jul;167(1):196-198. Member of MARC-30 Investigators, Riederer MF.
12. Khodaee M, Riederer M, VanBaak K, Hill JC. In Reply to Dr Lankford. Wilderness
Environ Med. 2015 Dec;26(4):589.
13. Khodaee M, Edelman G, Spittler J, Wilber R, Krabak B, Solomon D, Riewald S, Kendig
A, Borgelt L, Riederer M, Puzovic V, Rodeo S. Medical Care for Swimmers. Sports
Med Open. 2016 Dec;2(1):27.
14. Novais EN, Riederer MF, Provance AJ. Anterior inferior iliac spine deformity as a cause
for extra-articular hip impingement in young athletes after an avulsion fracture: a case
report. Sports Health. 2018 May/Jun;10(3):272-276.
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications and ePublications
1. Riederer M. Right elbow pain in a baseball player. American Academy of Pediatrics,
Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness, Monthly Case Report. September 2011.
2. Riederer M., Editor. 29-year-old female with left knee pain. American Medical Society
for Sports Medicine; Leawood, KS [Internet]. February 4, 2012. Available from
3. Riederer M., Editor. Not your typical low back pain. American Medical Society for
Sports Medicine; Leawood, KS [Internet]. April 7, 2012. Available from:
4. Riederer M. Syncope. American Academy of Pediatrics, Council on Sports Medicine
and Fitness, Monthly Case Report. November 2013.
1. Riederer M. (2015). Hip Dislocation, Traumatic. In Domino FJ (Ed.),
www.5minuteconsult.com, Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health.