Friends provides funding to Michigan Medicine programs and services that embrace and fulfill its mission of promoting the health, welfare and education of the community.
Our Friends Funding Committee meets quarterly for about an hour in July, October, January and April. This committee consists of approximately 5-8 members that share their knowledge, expertise and insight for each application request for funding based on the guidelines on this page (carefully completing your application and following the guidelines outlined, helps the process).
After a thorough review and discussion, the Funding Committee provides funding applicant recommendations to the Michigan Medicine Friends Advisory Board. We look forward to receiving your applications and will notify you after the Michigan Medicine Friends Advisory Board makes a decision.
The Michigan Medicine Friends Advisory Board and Gift Shops is a non-profit organization. The Friends Advisory Board governs the Mchigan Medicine Gift Shops and Friends Committees.
Past and current recipients of funding include Trail's Edge Camp for ventilator-dependent children, Trauma Burn Community Outreach programs, the Health System Child Care Center, Wilmot House, Transplant House, the Ronald McDonald House, the Depression Education Resource Center, and Gifts of Art programs and more.
How to Apply for Funding? Request Form and General Guidelines
Friends funding is open to all units within Michigan Medicine that benefit U-M patients.
- If your departmental request for funding meets our guidelines (see funding guidelines first), you can download a funding request form (pdf), or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for one to be emailed to you.
- Complete the entire application and submit by the quarterly deadlines (The 1st of December, March, June or September).
- The Friends Board wants to make intelligent, fair decisions on funding requests. The more detailed information you provide, the better we can understand the request. Feel free to attach details, quotes, photos etc. if necessary.
- All applications must be submitted via email to the following contacts: Debra Burrum, Michigan Medicine Friends Advisory Board Treasurer at email@example.com AND Waitzy Brown, Friends Advisory Board Administrative Assistant at FriendsofUMHS@med.umich.edu
- Funding must be approved with a signature by any (or all) of the following: Director, Head nurse; Project manager; or Manager/Supervisor.
- In some cases we may need to consult with the Corporate Compliance Office to verify that your fund request(s) meet the Code of Conduct and Compliance Program. You will be notified prior to the Friends Funding Committee quarterly review.
- The Friends Funding Committee reviews applications quarterly (January, April, July and October).
Funding has been granted to support:
- Health education in the community
- Enrichment of the hospital environment
- Off-site and in-house programs for patients
- Construction and equipment used by patients
Friends do not fund fee-generating equipment for the hospitals, direct salary support, materials for the education of hospital staff or research projects. Follow this link for a full description of our funding guidelines.
Other Funding Sources
Funding requests for printed patient education materials (may include, but not limited to digital, video etc.) should be made to the Patient Education Advisory Committee which receives an annual Friends grant to cover these needs. For further information please contact Ruti Volk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-232-3980.
Funding requests for departments that are under the umbrella of, and/or are partnered with, Patient Family Centered Care/the Office of Patient Experience, contact Administrative Director, Molly Dwyer-White, 734-232-0259, email@example.com, or Darnysus Jackson, Program Manager for Children's, Women's and Psychiatry at 6-0079, or Julie Wietzke, Program Manager for Cancer Center and Ambulatory Care Units at 2-0775.
If you have any questions relating to your request, please email Waitzy Brown at FriendsofUMHS@med.umich.edu.