Updated December 3, 2021
We post daily weekday snapshots here of our current COVID-19 testing and inpatient numbers, and a weekly infographic showing COVID-19 inpatients categorized by vaccination status and the existence of underlying conditions.
For University of Michigan campus data, see the U-M COVID-19 Data dashboard.
Testing and Hospitalizations
As of December 3, 8:00 am
- Total patients tested for COVID-19 at Michigan Medicine since the pandemic began (includes pending tests): 304,219
- Total positive tests: 13,257
- Tests pending (waiting for results): 133
- Current inpatients that are COVID-19 positive: 96
- Total COVID-19 patients discharged to date: 3,666
- COVID-19 patients discharged yesterday: 13
Discharge numbers include patients discharged to skilled nursing facilities but exclude deaths and discharges to hospice.
National COVID-19 Data: For COVID-19 data for the U.S., including case numbers, hospitalization rates, hospital capacity, and more, visit the Cases, Data, and Surveillance page on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.
Type of COVID-19 Patient
The infographic below shows the current University of Michigan Health COVID-19 patient count by:
- Vaccination status (vaccinated or unvaccinated)
- Type of treatment needed (hospitalized, intensive care or on a ventilator)
- Whether the patient has one or more of the following*: significant underlying lung disease, immunocompromised, age 65 or older
Data for November 29, 2021
- Total patients hospitalized: 82 (55*)
Vaccinated: 30 (25*)
Unvaccinated: 52 (30*)
- Patients in the ICU: 26 (17*)
Unvaccinated: 17 (8*)
- Patients on ventilators: 17 (10*)
Vaccinated: 4 (4*)
Unvaccinated: 13 (6*)
For FAQs for Michigan Medicine employees, visit the FAQs: COVID-19 page on Michigan Medicine Headlines.
Employee Vaccination Data
As of November 5, 2021:
- Number of Michigan Medicine employees: 25,202*
- Fully vaccinated (of 25,202): 91.3%
- Partially vaccinated | On track to be fully vaccinated: 0.3%
- Approved Exemptions: 4.1% or 1,033 employees
- Non-Compliant: 4.0% or 1,008 employees were not compliant with the mandate. Twenty-five employees have resigned; others are under disciplinary action; and some are new hires, on leave of absence or have their submissions under review.
*Note: does not include 7,914 union employees not covered by the mandate as of 11/5
Update regarding mandated vaccination for bargained-for employees: As of July 30, Michigan Medicine has required all employees to receive the COVID-19 vaccination, except for certain bargained-for employees without this option in their contracts. In early November, the Biden-Harris Administration issued a mandate requiring COVID-19 vaccination of eligible staff at health care facilities that participate in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Michigan Medicine began to work to implement the vaccine mandate across all bargained-for employees who were not covered in the original mandate.
On November 30, a United States federal judge in Louisiana issued a nationwide preliminary injunction against the Medicare and Medicaid COVID-19 vaccine mandate for health care workers. Based on this ruling, Michigan Medicine must pause enforcement of the December 6 deadline for some bargained-for employees who are not yet vaccinated. We will provide additional details as they become available.
Employee Testing Data
COVID-19 employee numbers are updated weekly on Fridays.
March 5, 2020 - December 2, 2021
- Total COVID-19 tests for Michigan Medicine employees: 52,866
- Total Michigan Medicine employees tested for COVID-19 since March 5, 2020: 19,317
- Total positive tests: 3,226
- Michigan Medicine employees hospitalized for COVID-19: 40
Vaccinations at Michigan Medicine
As of end of day, Monday, November 30, 2021
Total COVID-19 Vaccine Doses at Michigan Medicine: 172,948*
Number of Individuals Fully Vaccinated Through Michigan Medicine: 74,814
*Does not include third doses
State of Michigan data: For detailed vaccine distribution data by region and county within the state of Michigan, visit the COVID-19 Vaccine Dashboard page on the Michigan.gov site.