Patients who meet the eligibility criteria and are considering bariatric surgery have two options:
- Schedule an in-person info session: 734-936-5738 OR
- Watch the video above and then take the quiz: Take the required video quiz now.
Health Provider Referrals and Consultations
Michigan Medicine physicians can refer patients to the Michigan Medicine Adult Bariatric Surgery Program through MiChart (search “bariatric surgery”). Health providers can also call M-LINE and ask to speak to a Michigan Medicine bariatric surgeon: 800-962-3555. For more information about referring a patient for bariatric surgery visit our Referring to Bariatric Surgery page.
Patients considering the Michigan Medicine Adult Bariatric Surgery Program must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age or older
- Body Mass Index (BMI) between 40 and 65 (if not suffering from a weight-related medical condition) OR
- BMI of 35 or more and suffering from a weight-related medical condition (including but not limited to diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, asthma, heart disease, arthritis, or acid reflux)
- Must be nicotine- and substance-free