MedSport's performing arts injury rehabilitation programs are specialized for the unique needs of dancers, musicians, theater performers, figure skaters and gymnasts at the amateur, collegiate, student, high school or studio level.
We work directly with our sports medicine physicians and orthopedic surgeons. We can coordinate care with our physicians or help with referrals to other members of the healthcare team, including sports psychologists, nutrition counselors, and Pilates instructors and massage therapists.
Our program licensed physical therapists and athletic trainers specialize in working with performing artists. Many of them have years of experience and training in arts that include dance, cheerleading, gymnastics and musical performance.
- Complimentary Injury Screenings: After a performing arts injury, one of our staff can quickly assess the performer's state of health and make recommendations or referral to the appropriate members of our healthcare team. This is part of our Acute Injury Clinic.
- On-site and Backstage Treatment Services: Working through the University Musical Society and the University of Michigan, we provide care to local and international touring companies within Ann Arbor and Southeast Michigan.
- Performing Arts Injury Clinic: Our clinic is available on an appointment basis. We offer a musculoskeletal screening, assessment and exercise program instruction for the performer. Assessment is provided by MedSport licensed physical therapists and athletic trainers who have orthopedic, sports medicine and manual therapy training.
- Performing Arts Screening and Assessment: Using research-based screening adapted through the Harkness Center for Dance Injuries at New York University, we assess musculoskeletal deficiencies and provide a customized exercise and treatment program.
- Performing Arts Wellness/Educational Programs: Our team provides workshops, in-service training, lectures and educational forums on the topics of performing arts injury and rehabilitation to members of the community; the University of Michigan School of Music, Theater and Dance; and other members of the University of Michigan family. These programs include exercise instruction, discussion of common performing arts injuries, and working with your performing artists on proper technique and body mechanics. Educational programs can be individualized to your group’s needs.
Make an Appointment
Call us to make an appointment toll-free at 877-877-9333, or 734-930-7400.