Medical School or Training
Washington University, 2002
University of Michigan Health System, Radiation Oncology, MI, 2007
Maximizing the effectiveness and safety of radiotherapy through the incorporation of the latest cutting-edge technologies and multimodality treatments. She also is committed to individualizing and adapting radiotherapy for each patient, rather than using a one-size fits all approach.
Dr. Mary Feng, Associate Director of Clinical Research, received her undergraduate degree from Stanford University and her medical degree from Washington University in St. Louis. She arrived at the University of Michigan in 2001, first for an Internal Medicine internship, then for her Radiation Oncology residency. She is board certified in Radiation Oncology and an Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan. Her clinical specialties are the treatment of gastrointestinal cancers (including liver, pancreas, rectal, anal, and bile duct) and sarcomas, either with radiation alone or in combination with chemotherapy. Her research interests include technical and biological methods to individualize and adapt radiotherapy for each patient with liver cancer to maximize both the effectiveness and safety of treatment. She also is heavily involved in the integration of the latest cutting-edge technologies into the treatment of all cancer patients.
Dr. Feng's Recent Publications:Recent Publications:
- Feng M, Kong FM, Frey K, Fernando S, Chetty I, and Ten Haken R. Using FDG-PET to assess tumor volume during radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer and its potential impact on adaptive dose escalation and normal tissue sparing. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2009;15:1228-34.
- Feng M, Balter JM, Normolle D, Adusumilli S, Cao Y, Chenevert TL, and Ben-Josef E. Characterization of Pancreatic Tumor Motion Using 4D MRI: Surrogates for Tumor Position Should be Used with Caution. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2009;74:884-91.
- McLaughlin PW, Evans C, Feng M, Narayana V. Radiographic, anatomic, and developmental basis for prostate contouring errors and methods to improve prostate contouring accuracy. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2010;76(2):369-78.
- Feng FY, Kim HM, Lyden TH, Haxer MJ, Worden FP, Feng M, Moyer JS, Prince ME, Carey TE, Wolf GT, Bradford CR, Chepeha DB, Eisbruch A. Intensity-Modulated Chemo-Radiotherapy Aiming to Reduce Dysphagia in Patients with Oropharyngeal Cancer: Clinical and Functional Results. Journal Clin Oncol 2010; 28(16):2732-8. [I drew the majority of the anatomic structures studied, calculated dose-volume histograms, and edited the final paper.]
- Feng M, Moran J, Koelling T, Chughtai A, Chan J, Freedman L, Hayman J, Jagsi R, Jolly S, LaRouere J, Soriano J, Marsh R, Pierce L. Development and validation of a heart atlas to study cardiac exposure to radiation following treatment for breast cancer. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2011:79(1):10-18.
- Sabolch A*, Feng M*, Griffith K, Doherty G, Hammer G, Ben-Josef E. Adjuvant and Definitive Radiotherapy for Adrenocortical Carcinoma. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2011:80(5):1477-84.*Equal contribution by co-first authors
- Feng M, Koong A, Ben-Josef E. Gastrointestinal Cancers. In Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT): A Clinical Perspective (1st edition). Mundt AJ and Roeske JC Editors. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2011.
- Chugh R, Sabel M, Feng M. Breast sarcoma: Epidemiology, risk factors, clinical presentation, diagnosis, and staging. In Up To Date. Savarese DM and Duda RB Editors. Online; 2011.
- Chugh R, Feng M, Sabel M. Breast sarcoma: Treatment. In Up To Date. Savarese DM and Duda RB Editors. Online; 2011.
- Feng M and Lawrence TS. Hepatobiliary Tumors. In Clinical Radiation Oncology, 3rd edition. Gunderson and Tepper Editors. Philadelphia: Elsevier/Churchill Livingstone; 2012.
- Eisbruch A, Kim H, Feng FY, Lyden TH, Haxer MJ, Feng M, Worden FP, Bradford CR, Prince ME, Moyer JS, Wolf GT, Chepeha DB, Ten Haken RK. Chemo-IMRT of Oropharyngeal Cancer Aiming to Reduce Dysphagia: Swallowing Organs Late Complication Probabilities and Dosimetric Correlates. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2011;81(3):e93-9. [I drew the majority of the anatomic structures studied, calculated dose-volume histograms, and edited the final paper.]
- Feng M, Ben-Josef E. Radiation Therapy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Seminars in Radiation Oncology 2011;21(4):271-7. (review article)
- Stenmark MH, Vineberg K, Ten Haken RK, Hamstra DA, Feng M. Dosimetric Implications of Residual Seminal Vesicle Motion in Fiducial-Guided Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer. Medical Dosimetry 2012;37(3):240-4.
- Long T, Matuszak M, Feng M, Fraass BA, Ten Haken RK, Romeijn HE. Sensitivity Analysis for Lexicographic Ordering in Radiation Therapy Treatment Planning. Med Phys. 2012;39(6):3445-55.
- Rubin JM, Feng M, Hadley SW, Fowlkes JB, Hamilton JD. The Potential Use of Ultrasound Speckle Tracking for Motion Management During Radiotherapy: Preliminary Report. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 2012;31(3):469-81.
- Sabolch A*, Feng M*, Griffith K, Rzasa C, Gadzala L, Feng F, Biermann J, Chugh R, Ray M, Ben-Josef E. Risk Factors for Local Recurrence and Metastasis in Soft Tissue Sarcomas of the Extremity. American Journal of Clinical Oncology 2012;35(2):151-7.*Equal contribution by co-first authors
- Pak DJ, Vineberg KA, Griffith K, Sabolch A, Chugh R, Ben-Josef E, Biermann JS, Feng M. Dose-Effect Relationships for Femoral Fractures Following Multimodality Limb-Sparing therapy of Soft-Tissue Sarcomas of the Proximal Lower Extremity. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2012;83(4):1257-63.
- Feng M, Smith DE, Normolle DP, Knol JA, Pan CC, Ben-Josef E, Lu Z, Feng MR, Chen J, Ensminger W, Lawrence TS. A Phase I Clinical and Pharmacology Study Using Amifostine as a Radioprotector in Dose-Escalated Whole Liver Radiation Therapy. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2012;83(5):1441-7.
- Feng M, Normolle D, Pan CC, Dawson LA, Amarnath S, Ensminger WD, Lawrence TS, Ten Haken RK. Dosimetric Analysis of Radiation-Induced Gastric Bleeding. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2012;84(1):e1-6.
- Feng M, Demiroz C, Vineberg KA Eisbruch A, Balter JM. Normal Tissue Anatomy for Oropharyngeal Cancer: Contouring Variability and its Impact on Optimization. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2012;84(2):e245-9.
- Cao Y, Wang H, Johnson T, Pan C, Hussain H, Balter JM, Normolle DP, Ben-Josef E, Ten Haken RK, Lawrence TS, Feng M. Prediction of Liver Function using MR-Based Portal Venous Perfusion Imaging. Int. J. Rad. Onc. Biol. Phys. 2013;85(1):258-63.
- Lawrence TS and Feng M. Protons for Prostate Cancer: the Dream Versus the Reality. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2013;105(1):7-8. (editorial comment)