ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Ora Pescovitz M.D., executive vice president for medical affairs at the University of Michigan and CEO of UMHS, was recognized at the 16th Annual Women and Leadership in the Workplace Conference in Dearborn on Jan. 26.
Eleven area women leaders were honored by the Michigan Business and Professional Association at the Conference and Awards program at the Henry in Dearborn.
The event was held to promote high professional standards, encourage leadership, provide education and assure equal advantages for women. More than 500 women were in attendance at the event.
This year's honorees represent extraordinary professional women who have excelled in eight distinct categories. They include:
- Professional: Ora H. Pescovitz, M.D., CEO, University of Michigan Health System, Executive Vice President for Medical Affairs, University of Michigan
- Business: Sandra Hermanoff, President & CEO, Hermanoff & Associates Inc.
- Civic & Community Affairs: The Hon. Marilyn J. Kelly, Michigan Supreme Court
- Philanthropic: Vivian Pickard, President, GM Foundation
- Media: Carol Cain, Business Columnist, Detroit Free Press, Editorial Director, WWJ TV50
- Education: Susan Martin, President, Eastern Michigan University
- Small Business Achievement: Judy Zehnder Keller, President, Bavarian Inn Lodge & Conference Center
- Shooting Stars: Dara Munson, President & CEO, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit; Annis Brown, Executive Director, Teach for America-Detroit; Margarita Barry, Founder/Publisher/Blogger, I Am Young Detroit/Detroit Design Lab; and Theresa Chiang, Membership & Events Marketing Manager, APACC – Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce
"Over the past 16 years our organization has been proud of our commitment to honoring the achievements of women leaders in Michigan," said Jennifer Kluge, MBPA president. "We are proud to offer this forum for women. This year's group of honorees have set themselves apart by their expertise, leadership and accomplishments."
The conference included panel discussion on "Working to be Your Best Self," networking opportunities and an awards brunch.
This event was sponsored by AT&T, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Corp! magazine, Davenport University, Detroit Free Press, DTE Energy, Dykema, MGM Grand Detroit, Oakwood Hospital, Pepsi, Staples, Styleline Magazine, Executive Vehicle Sales and St. John Health System, as well as a distinguished advisory committee of leading businesswomen and community leaders.
For more information, visit http://michbusiness.org/ or call 888-277-6464.