Due to patient confidentiality requirements, members of the UMHS Media Team are only able to provide one-word condition reports on current patients being treated at our facilities. Condition reports will only be given to reporters who provide the patient’s name.
Any further information release to the media requires a signed consent from the patient or his/her legal representative, and must be arranged through Public Relations.
To obtain a condition report, please call 734-764-2220 Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
For a patient condition after hours or on weekends or holidays, call the UMHS operators at 734-936-6267 and ask to page the Public Relations person on call. A UMHS PR team member is on call from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m., and from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m., on weekdays, and from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. on weekends and holidays.
Patient condition may be provided consistent with the limitations imposed by the HIPAA privacy standards. If an inquiry is made using the patient's name, general condition information may be provided that does not communicate specific information about the individual.
The American Hospital Association has suggested the following one-word descriptions of a patient's general condition:
- Undetermined: Patient awaiting physician assessment.
- Good: Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
- Fair: Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
- Serious: Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
- Critical: Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
- Treated and Released: Received treatment but not admitted.
- Treated and Transferred: Received treatment. Transferred to a different facility.
Additional information on those patients, and any information on other patients, is only released as permitted by patients and their representatives.