ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The University of Michigan Health System’s Michigan Visiting Care and its health centers are offering flu vaccinations to patients and the public.
New this season, U-M patients have the opportunity to self-schedule appointments online for a flu shot at a participating U-M health center.
“Getting some type of flu vaccine is important,” says Linda McGrath, R.N., immunization coordinator for the U-M Health System. “A yearly flu shot is the single best way to protect yourself and those around you from getting sick with the flu. Influenza is more serious than the common cold and can lead to missed work and school and serious complications, including hospitalizations and death.”
It takes about two weeks for protection to develop after vaccination, and protection lasts through the flu season.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that anyone 6 months and older should be vaccinated for the upcoming flu season. School-aged children are more likely to catch the flu and vaccinating a child also protects people around them like grandparents, babies, other family members and friends.
Standard vaccination will be the quadrivalent vaccine protecting against four flu strains. There’s also a high-dose flu shot for people age 65 and older.
Vaccine experts advised against the use of FluMist because of its limited protection in recent years. Nasal spray vaccine is not available this season.
What you should know
Flu spreads around the United States every year usually between October and May. The vaccine is designed to protect against the most common flu viruses expected during the flu season.
There is no live virus in flu shots. They cannot cause the flu.
With any medicine, including vaccines, there is a chance of reactions. These are usually mild and go away on their own, but serious reactions are possible.
Tell the person who is giving you the vaccine:
- If you have any severe, life-threatening allergies. Most, but not all, types of flu vaccine contain a small amount of egg protein.
- If you ever had Guillain-Barre’ Syndrome (also called GBS).
- If you are not feeling well.
Vaccination is particularly important for high-risk groups, including children, those 50 and older, pregnant women, and anyone with an underlying medical condition that can weaken their ability to fight infections.
At its walk-in clinics, Michigan Visiting Care accepts the following insurances:
- Blue Care Network
- BCN Advantage
- Medicare Plus Blue PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PPO
- Blue Cross Complete
- HAP HMO and PPO
- Health Plus HMO/PPO/POS/MIChild
- HealthPlus MedicarePlus Advantage HMO/PPO
- PHPMM HMO and PPO
- Priority Health HMO and PPO
- Priority Health Medicare Advantage
- Traditional Medicare Part B
- UM Premier Care
Other payment options include cash, check, VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
The walk-in clinics are open to the public. See a complete list of Michigan Visiting Care’s clinics below or call MVN’s flu hotline at (734) 477-7299.
- Friday, 9/8/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Fowlerville Senior Center, 203 N. Collins, Fowlerville, Ages 18+
- Sunday, 9/17/2017 from 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM at the Dexter United Methodist Church, 7643 Huron River Drive, Dexter, Ages 18+
- Sunday, 9/17/2017 from 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM at the Ann Arbor YMCA, 400 West Washington, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Saturday, 9/23/2017 from 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM at the Northfield Township Community Center 9101 Main Street, Whitmore Lake, Ages 9+
- Sunday, 9/24/2017 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM at the St. Joseph Shrine [Family Center], 8743 US 12, Brooklyn, Ages9+
- Tuesday, 9/26/2017 from 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM at the Unadilla Senior Center, 126 Webb, Gregory, Ages 9+
- Wednesday, 9/27/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Adrian Senior Center, 327 Erie Street, Adrian, Ages 18+
- Thursday, 9/28/2017 from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Hartland Senior Center, 9525 East Highland Road, Howell, Ages 9+
- Friday, 9/29/2017 from 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM at the Pittsfield Township Senior Center, 701 W. Ellsworth, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Saturday, 9/30/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip, 2705 S. Industrial, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Sunday, 10/1/2017 from 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM at West Side United Methodist Church, 900 South Seventh Street, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Sunday, 10/1/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the First United Methodist Church, 120 South State Street, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Tuesday, 10/3/2017 from 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM at St. Francis School and Parish, 2270 East Stadium Boulevard, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Friday, 10/6/2017 from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Hamburg Senior Center, 10407 Merrill Road, Hamburg, Ages 9+
- Friday, 10/6/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Saline Area Senior Center, 7190 North Maple Road, Saline, Ages 9+
- Friday, 10/6/2017 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM at the Chelsea Wellness Center, 14800 East Old U.S. 12, Chelsea, Ages 9+
- Saturday, 10/7/2017 from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM at St. Andrew the Apostle Church, 910 Austin Drive, Saline, Ages 9+
- Saturday, 10/7/2017 from 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM at Wiard's Orchard & Country Fair, 5565 Merritt Road, Ypsilanti, Ages 9+
- Sunday, 10/8/2017 from 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM at St. Andrew the Apostle Church, 910 Austin Drive, Saline, Ages 9+
- Sunday, 10/8/2017 from 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM at Wiard's Orchard & Country Fair, 5565 Merritt Road, Ypsilanti, Ages 9+
- Tuesday, 10/10/2017 from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM at Zion Lutheran Church, 1501 West Liberty, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Wednesday, 10/11/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM at the Turner Senior Resource Center, 2401 Plymouth Road, Suite C, Ann Arbor, Ages 18+
- Wednesday, 10/11/2017 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Ann Arbor YMCA, 400 West Washington Street, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Thursday, 10/12/2017 from 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM at the Dexter Wellness Center, 2810 Baker Road, Dexter, Ages 9+
- Friday, 10/13/2017 from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Ypsilanti Township Senior Center, 2025 East Clark Road, Ypsilanti, Ages 9+
- Saturday, 10/14/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip, 2705 S. Industrial, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Friday, 10/20/2017 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM at the Addison Senior Center, 117 North Steer Street, Addison Ages 18+
- Saturday, 10/21/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip, 2705 S. Industrial, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Sunday, 10/22/2017 from 8:30 AM - 11:00 AM at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 306 North Division, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Thursday, 10/26/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Ypsilanti Senior Center, 1015 North Congress, Ypsilanti, Ages 9+
- Saturday, 11/11/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip, 2705 S. Industrial, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Saturday, 12/2/2017 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip, 2705 S. Industrial, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+