The University of Michigan Health System's Michigan Visiting Nurses and health centers will once again offer flu vaccinations, the most reliable way to ward off the flu this season.
A series of convenient walk-in flu shot clinics is planned throughout southeastern Michigan and vaccinations are offered at competitive prices, says Tracy Newhouse, MVN community wellness manager.
U-M Health System patients can begin getting flu shots now by contacting their health care provider.
"It's important people receive the vaccination even if they're not afraid of getting sick or getting hospitalized," says Newhouse. "They could pass the flu to more vulnerable people."
For individuals who already see a U-M physician, nurse midwife or other provider, vaccination can be done during existing or new appointments this fall or at special walk-in clinics for current patients.
Patients should call their U-M provider's office for an appointment, or visit www.uofmhealth.org/flu for a schedule of flu shot clinics, says Linda McGrath, UMHS immunization coordinator. If patients receive their flu shot elsewhere, they should notify their U-M provider so their medical record can be updated.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is again recommending that anyone 6 months and older should be vaccinated for the upcoming flu season. Children less than 9 years of age may require two doses this season depending on their immunization history. The CDC also recommends that because children younger than 6 months cannot be vaccinated, their caregivers and entire family should receive the shot.
Vaccination is particularly important for high-risk groups, including children, those 50 and older, pregnant women and anyone with an underlying medical condition that can weaken the immune system. The CDC recommends flu shots be received annually.
New this year, the University of Michigan will have quadrivalent vaccine doses available. Quadrivalent vaccine protects against four different strains of influenza, instead of three strains as in prior years.
At its walk-in clinics, Michigan Visiting Nurses accepts the following insurances, all of which cover the entire cost of the flu shot: Aetna, Blue Care Network, BCN Advantage, Medicare Plus Blue PPO, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PPO, Blue Cross Complete, Cigna, HAP HMO and PPO, Health Plus HMO/PPO/POS/MIChild, HealthPlus MedicarePlus Advantage HMO/PPO, PHPMM HMO and PPO, Priority Health HMO and PPO, Priority Health Medicare Advantage, Traditional Medicare Part B, and UM Premier Care. Other payment options include cash, check, VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
The walk-in clinics are open to the public and most clinics are limited to vaccinating those age 9 and older. For an updated listing of flu clinics, call MVN's flu hotline at 734-477-7299, or visit http://umvn.org/immunizations.
See a complete list of clinics below or visit http://umvn.org/immunizations.
- Thursday, 9/12/2013 from 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM at the UM Michigan Union - Kuenzel Room, first floor, 530 South State Street, Ann Arbor, Ages 18+
- Thursday, 9/12/2013 from 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM at the Cornerstone Presbyterian Church, 9455 Hilton Road, Brighton, Ages 9+
- Sunday, 9/15/2013 from 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM at the Dexter United Methodist Church, 7643 Huron River Drive, Dexter, Ages 9+
- Wednesday, 9/18/2013 from 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM at the Dexter Senior Center, 7720 Ann Arbor Street, Dexter, Ages 9+
- Saturday, 9/21/2013 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip, 2705 South Industrial, Ann Arbor Ages 9+
- Tuesday, 9/24/2013 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Hartland Senior Center, 9525 East Highland Road, Howell, Ages 18+
- Tuesday, 9/24/2013 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Ypsilanti Senior Center, 1015 North Congress, Ypsilanti, Ages 9+
- Thursday, 9/26/2013 from 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM at the Unadilla Senior Center, 126 Webb, Gregory, 48137, Ages 9+
- Saturday, 9/28/2013 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip, 2705 South Industrial, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Sunday, 9/29/2013 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM at the St. Joseph Shrine Family Center, 8743 US 12, Brooklyn, 49230, Ages 9+
- Tuesday, 10/1/2013 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM at the Howell Recreation Center - Parks and Recreation Building, 925 West Grand River Avenue, Howell, Ages 18+
- Tuesday, 10/1/2013 from 2:00 PM - 6:30 PM at the St. Francis School and Parish, 2270 East Stadium Boulevard, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Wednesday, 10/2/2013 from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Pittsfield Township Senior Center, 701 West Ellsworth Road, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Wednesday, 10/2/2013 from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Turner Senior Resource Center, 2401 Plymouth Road, Suite C, Ann Arbor, Ages 18+
- Wednesday, 10/2/2013 from 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM at the York Baptist Church, 11220 Stony Creek Road, Milan, 48160, Ages 9+
- Friday, 10/4/2013 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Addison Senior Center, 117 North Steer Street, Addison, 49220, Ages 18+
- Sunday, 10/6/2013 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the First United Methodist Church, 120 South State Street, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Monday, 10/7/2013 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Adrian Senior Center, 327 Erie Street, Adrian, 49221, Ages 18+
- Friday, 10/11/2013 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Saline Senior Center, 7190 North Maple Road, Saline, Ages 18+
- Saturday, 10/12/2013 from 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM at Wiard's Orchards, 5565 Merritt Road, Ypsilanti, Ages 9+
- Sunday, 10/13/2013 from 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM at the Belleville First United Methodist Church, 417 Charles Street, Belleville, Ages 9+
- Sunday, 10/13/2013 from 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM at Wiard's Orchards, 5565 Merritt Road, Ypsilanti, Ages 9+
- Monday, 10/14/2013 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM at the Fowlerville Senior Center, 203 North Collins Street, Fowlerville, 48836, Ages 18+
- Monday, 10/14/2013 from 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM at the Blissfield Senior Center, 206 South Lane, Blissfield, 49228, Ages 9+
- Wednesday, 10/16/2013 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM at the Northfield Township Senior Center, 9101 Main Street, Whitmore Lake, 48189, Ages 9+
- Wednesday, 10/16/2013 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Ann Arbor YMCA, 400 West Washington Street, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Friday, 10/18/2013 from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Ypsilanti Township Senior Center, 2025 East Clark Road, Ypsilanti, Ages 18+
- Sunday, 10/20/2013 from 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 306 North Division, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Wednesday, 10/23/2013 from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Ann Arbor City Club, 1830 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Wednesday, 10/23/2013 from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Zion Lutheran Church, 1501 West Liberty, Ann Arbor, 48103, Ages 9+
- Friday, 10/25/2013 from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Hamburg Senior Center, 10407 Merrill Road, Hamburg, 48139, Ages 18+
- Saturday, 10/26/2013 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip, 2705 South Industrial, Ann Arbor, Ages 9+
- Saturday, 11/16/2013 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip, 2705 South Industrial, Ann Arbor, 48104, Ages 9+