ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Patient care at the University of Michigan’s East Medical Campus has returned to normal after an incident with an electrical transfer switch on Wednesday resulted in a temporary loss of power and computer networks to some areas of the complex.
There was no fire but the incident did create smoke and disrupted a connection to a backup power generator. No injuries were reported.
Only one of the three buildings on the campus, along Plymouth Road in Ann Arbor Township, lost power. Power was restored at 12:19 p.m. Wednesday.
As of Thursday morning, June 13, at 8 a.m.:
- All patient care and other services have resumed at the East Ann Arbor Health and Geriatrics Center. Following the incident on Wednesday, some patients with urgent needs were seen at other locations, while others were rescheduled. Other services in the building were closed. For a full list of the clinics at the building: http://umhealth.me/eaahc
- All medical imaging services have resumed at the adjoining radiology site. This includes ultrasound, mammograms, bone densitometry, CT and MRI scans and X-rays. Patients with medical imaging appointments at East Ann Arbor on Wednesday were relocated to other sites or rescheduled.
- Care at the East Ann Arbor Ambulatory Surgery and Medical Procedures Center and Rachel Upjohn Building/ U-M Depression Center were not affected.
The incident occurred shortly after the clinics had opened for the day on Wednesday. Staff and patients evacuated safely in accordance with training, and were later allowed back in briefly and under escort, in to retrieve possessions and move temperature-sensitive medications to alternate locations. The Ann Arbor Township Fire Department responded.
The incident appears to have begun with the implosion of a circuit breaker, which knocked out power to the building and also disabled the transfer switch that would normally have allowed the backup generator to begin providing power. Facilities staff were able to install cables to bypass the issue, and a safety inspection and fire alarm testing were performed before the building was allowed to be occupied.