You may have heard that if you haven't gotten your flu shot by now, it's too late. Well, don't despair, because there is still plenty of time to get a flu shot and for it to be effective during Michigan's flu season, which often peaks in February.
National Influenza Vaccination Week runs from Nov. 27 to Dec. 3, and leaders of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are reminding the public that November and December are good times to get flu vaccinations. Typically, vaccinations have tapered off after Thanksgiving.
To that end, the University of Michigan Health System's Michigan Visiting Nurses is offering additional flu shot clinics in November and December. The clinics are open to the public, and most clinics are limited to people 18 and older. For a weekly listing of flu clinics, call MVN's flu hotline at 888-547-7295 or visit www.umvn.org.
Flu shots are $33 this year, and pneumonia shots will be offered for $82. Payment options include cash, check and credit card, as well as Medicare Part B, M-Care, CareChoices and HAP, all of which cover the entire cost of the flu shot.
You cannot receive a flu shot at these clinics if you: have a fever of 101 degrees or higher; have an allergy to eggs or egg products; have a Thimerosal allergy; have been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome; or are allergic to Benadryl or Epinephrine.
Clinics will be offered at the following locations:
- Nov. 17, 3-7 p.m., Westland Shopping Center, 35000 Warren Road, Westland
- Nov. 21, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Michigan Visiting Nurses, 2850 S. Industrial Hwy, #75, Ann Arbor
- Nov. 21, 1-4 p.m., Four Seasons Gallery of Crafts, 588 North Lafayette, South Lyon
- Nov. 25, 3-7 p.m., Busch's, 15185 Sheldon Road, Plymouth
- Nov. 27, 3-7 p.m., Busch's, 2020 Green Rd., Ann Arbor
- Nov. 28, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Michigan Visiting Nurses, 2850 S. Industrial Hwy, #75, Ann Arbor
- Nov. 28, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Livingston County Department of Public Health, 2300 E. Grand River Ave., Howell
- Nov. 28, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Busch's, 2240 S.Main, Ann Arbor
- Dec. 2, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Busch's, 37083 Six Mile Road, Livonia
- Dec. 3, 9-10:45 a.m. and 12:15-2 p.m., First Assembly of God, 300 Old Creek Dr., Saline
- Dec. 6, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., St. Joseph Mercy - Reichart Building, 5333 McAuley Dr., Ann Arbor
- Dec. 12, 3-5 p.m., St. Joseph Mercy - Haab Building, 111 North Huron St., Ypsilanti
- Dec. 16, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Busch's, 24445 Drake Road, Farmington Hills
- Dec. 5, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Michigan Visiting Nurses, 2850 S. Industrial Hwy, #75 Ann Arbor
- Dec. 12, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Michigan Visiting Nurses, 2850 S. Industrial Hwy, #75 Ann Arbor
MVN, part of the University of Michigan Health System, is a nonprofit organization that has served the community since 1909.
Written by Katie Gazella