Childhood obesity has dramatically worsened over the past three decades. Many of these children will become obese adults, suffering from obesity-related illnesses, such as diabetes and heart disease. The Pediatric Comprehensive Weight Management Center at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, part of the University of Michigan Health System, helps teens and their families improve their health through lifestyle changes and the most up-to-date treatments available.
This unique program is the first multidisciplinary weight management center in the State of Michigan to offer comprehensive programs specifically for children and adolescents.
Our team of physicians, dietitian, psychologist, social worker, exercise physiologist and physician assistant is dedicated to the evaluation and treatment of child and adolescent obesity through our MPOWER (Michigan Pediatric Outpatient Weight Evaluation & Reduction) program. We understand that weight loss is a family affair. Therefore, our programs are designed for both children and parents, and we ask that at least one parent or guardian attend each session.
What is MPOWER?
Along with physical activity and nutrition education, your family will receive personalized support and gain the behavioral skills required to create and sustain healthy lifestyle changes. Our center offers:
- An extensive medical evaluation by our weight management pediatrician to identify possible causes and health consequences of your child’s obesity
- Comprehensive evaluations by our pediatric psychologist, dietitian, social worker and exercise physiologist
- Fitness consultation and metabolic analysis
- Access to a gym facility and physical activity sessions structured to meet the needs of your child
- Individual and group behavioral and nutrition sessions
Our intensive 6-month programs utilize a comprehensive approach to help families face the challenge of achieving sustained weight loss.
Through clinic visits, home visits, gym classes and on-line sessions, the MPOWER programs provide coordinated weight management with medical, psychological, dietary, environmental and physical activity components tailored to individual and family needs.
Our distinctive MPOWER offerings include:
- MPOWER: The Michigan Pediatric Outpatient Weight Evaluation and Reduction program for teens 12 to 18 years old
- MPOWER Junior: geared exclusively for children 7 to 11 years old
- MPOWER Parents: for parents and caregivers to support weight management for children 6 years old and younger
- Weight loss surgery: a full spectrum of adolescent weight loss surgery options for appropriate patients
Weight Loss Surgery
For severely obese adolescents with associated medical problems, weight loss surgery is an option when non-surgical approaches are unsuccessful in improving the individual’s physical health. Participation in the MPOWER program along with intensive behavioral evaluation and testing are required prior to being considered for weight loss surgery at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.
In addition, approval must be obtained from the Pediatric Comprehensive Weight Management review committee. Important considerations include the severity of obesity, the presence and severity of obesity-related illnesses, the level of family support, and the degree of emotional and physical maturity of the adolescent. In order to ensure the best outcomes from surgery, patients must demonstrate the ability and commitment to follow the recommendations of their Mott care team. Long-term comprehensive follow-up care includes medical evaluations plus psychological and nutritional counseling for both patient and family.
How do I take the first step to address my child’s weight challenges? If you are concerned about your child’s weight, please speak with his/her primary care physician and request a referral to the Comprehensive Weight Management Center at Mott Children’s Hospital. We look forward to working with your family to meet your child’s weight loss goals!
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, call 734-615-3829.