Imagine being unable to speak, unable to move your limbs at will or having difficulty recognizing close relatives. These are some of the effects of diseases that attack the nervous system, such as stroke, Alzheimer's disease or multiple sclerosis, and they can be frightening to comprehend.
At the University of Michigan, our treatment of diseases involving the brain, spine, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves - uses a multidisciplinary team approach. Primarily made up of the country’s leading neurologists and neurosurgeons, the U-M Neurosciences group works closely with neuroanesthesiologists, otolaryngologists, ophthalmologists, orthopedic surgeons, physiatrists and radiologists.
We treat both medically and surgically the following diseases, disorders and conditions:
- Acoustic Neuroma
- Aneurysms and cerebrovascular disease (disorders of the brain that include the cerebral blood vessels
- Balanced disorders (ataxia, gait disorders, multiple system atrophy, supranuclear palsy)
- Brachial Plexus injury
- Brain tumors
- Cognitive disorders (Alzheimer’s disease, brain imaging, Creutzfeldt-Jakob, dementia, memory and thinking)
- Concussion and neurological injuries in competitive athletes
- Cranial skull base tumors
- Degenerative disc disease
- Head and spinal cord injury
- Motor Neuron disease/ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)
- Movement disorders (Parkinson's Disease, Dystonia, Tremor)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurogenetic disorders (Fabray Disease, Gaucher Disease, Lateral Sclerosis, Neurofibromatosis, Niemann-Pick Diseases, Spastic Paraplegia)
- Neuromuscular (diabetic polyneuropathy, electromyography, hereditary neuropathy, muscular dystrophy, myasthenia gravis)
- Neuro-Ophthalmology (disorders of the optic nerve and its connections to the brain)
- Peripheral nerve disorders
- Pituitary disorders
- Spine tumors and disorders (scoliosis, degenerative disc disease)
C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital is one of the leading treatment programs for infants, children and adolescents with neurological problems.
Why choose Michigan? Learn more about specialty clinics and programs that make us the highest ranked neurology and neurosurgery program in Michigan.
Make an Appointment
Making a decision about who to see or where to go for your brain and neurological care can be challenging, but we want to help you make the best decision possible. Visit our Make an Appointment page to see a list of clinics and their contact information.