Comprehensive Care for a Wide Range of Musculoskeletal Conditions
Bone, muscle and joint problems can take a toll on daily life with chronic pain, restricted movement, or difficulty performing everyday tasks. From sports-related traumas and rheumatic diseases to bone fractures, back and spine conditions and total joint replacements, our providers are national leaders in orthopedic care and possess significant clinical and surgical expertise that enables them to care for a wide range of routine to complex orthopedic conditions, providing the newest in treatment options that are individualized for each patient.
Musculoskeletal Services at the University of Michigan is the top choice for patients seeking care for conditions affecting bones, joints, muscles and connective tissue. The multidisciplinary musculoskeletal team includes more than 110 physicians, who provide more than 300,000 outpatient visits a year, along with thousands of surgeries and medical procedures. By providing a comprehensive spectrum of diverse services, we help our patients improve their overall health, quality of life, and mobility while simplifying service coordination and access.
Musculoskeletal Conditions We Treat
- ACL injury tearing of the anterior cruciate ligament, located inside the knee joint)
- Arthritis and gout
- Back, neck and spine pain
- Bursitis (inflammation in the bursa, or "cushioning sacs" between the bones, muscles and tendons
- Hand,elbow and wrist conditions (tennis elbow, trigger finger, Kienbock's Disease, dislocations and other arm problems)
- Foot and ankle injuries and pain (Achilles tendon disorders, ankle instability, flatfoot, bunions, hammertoes and other lower leg conditions)
- Herniated disc
- Hip pain and replacement
- Joint inflammation
- Knee injuries, pain and replacement (meniscus tears, kneecap issues, ligament injuries and more)
- Lupus (an autoimmune disorder that can affect many body parts, including the joints, skin, kidneys, heart, blood vessels, lungs and brain)
- Shoulder pain and replacement
- Sports-related injuries
- Tendonitis (a condition where a tendon or the connective tissue that surrounds the tendon becomes inflamed)
In addition, extensive and effective rehabilitation services are available, including physical, occupational, and sports medicine therapy programs. Our patients also have access to the most advanced diagnostic imaging technology available.
Specialty Clinics and Programs for Bones, Joints, Muscles and Connective Tissue
Our comprehensive and cooperative clinics and programs give patients easy access to a variety of medical professionals and include:
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery has been a pioneer in orthopedic surgery care, education and research since 1930. Today, among other treatments, we’re using newer, stronger materials for joint replacements; our hip replacement surgery is less invasive and requires less recovery time; our Spine Surgery Program doctors work closely with other specialists to provide the newest treatments to patients with neck and back disorders; and our multidisciplinary Sarcoma Program (treating cancer of the connective tissue) sees patients from around the country and provides comprehensive, multidisciplinary care in one site.
The Division of Rheumatology is home to one of the oldest and best-known rheumatology units in the U.S. The division is dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases. We also offer special programs in Lupus and Scleroderma. The Geriatric Rheumatology Clinic provides consultation and continuing care for the diagnosis and management of rheumatic diseases of the older adult. A special emphasis is placed on treatment of the geriatric patient to help maintain a high level of mobility.
The Arthritis Cooperative Clinic provides care for patients who are experiencing joint pain due to arthritis and other related musculoskeletal conditions. Our team approach to treating arthritic conditions makes it easier for our patients, since several physician specialties all practice in one clinic setting to provide consultation as needed, including same day treatments in some cases. This team approach to patient care also provides more efficient diagnoses and treatment plans.
Throughout all of our clinics and programs, we provide:
- Expert diagnosis and interpretation of laboratory tests
- Interventions for conditions that have not responded to conventional treatments
- Second opinions and consultations with other physicians
- The latest care for chronic, degenerative conditions