If you haven’t been able to get a specific diagnosis for your vision issue, the physicians at the Neuro-Ophthalmology Clinic, part of the Department of Neurology at the University of Michigan Heath System, may be able to help. Our highly skilled team has the experience and high patient volume to recognize symptoms and make the correct diagnosis.
Located in the newly expanded Kellogg Eye Center, our clinic treats approximately 3,000 patients each year. We have the ability to see urgent cases immediately. And, we collaborate with experts from Neurology, Neurosurgery, Neuroradiology, Interventional Radiology, Rheumatology, Otolaryngology, Radiation Oncology and Ophthalmology so you get coordinated, multidisciplinary care.
We treat the scope of vision problems/disorders that are associated with the brain, including:
- Reduced vision
- Blind spots
- Double vision
- Abnormalities of the pupils
- Droopy eyelids
- Abnormal alignment of the eyes
- Abnormal eye movements
- Vision loss from stroke or tumor
- Optic neuritis – inflammation of the optic nerve
- Thyroid eye disease
- Optic atrophy – the loss of some or most of the nerve fibers in the optic nerve
- Ischemic optic neuropathy - optic neuropathy from obstruction of blood vessels
- Ocular myasthenia gravis – an autoimmune disorder that causes weakened eye muscles
- Focal dystonias – movement disorders that affect the eyes and face, including hemifacial spasm and blepharospasm
- Alzheimer’s disease with vision problems
We provide comprehensive, cutting-edge diagnostic testing, including a thorough eye exam, measuring visual acuity, pupil reactivity, color vision, side vision and ocular alignment. We also conduct computerized visual field testing, plus optical coherence tomography (to view and measure the retina and optic nerve).
Treatment will depend on your diagnosis but could include medical therapies, botulinum toxin injections to stop muscle spasm for disorders, such as hemifacial spasm, and surgical treatments, such as eye muscle surgery to restore straight eye alignment, and laser surgery for a number of vision disorders. Many of the surgical procedures can be done in an outpatient setting, without an overnight stay in the hospital.
Make an Appointment
Schedule an appointment by calling us at 734-763-9142.