Updated March 24, 2014
Under the Affordable Care Act, private health insurance companies are offering new plans for individuals, families and small businesses to buy, with fewer restrictions than before. The state of Michigan has expanded Medicaid private plan coverage to make that form of insurance available to more people.
No matter where you receive your care, check carefully before selecting a plan, to make sure that it will cover care at your preferred clinics and hospitals.
Which plans will be accepted at U-M Health System hospitals, health centers and other facilities?
- See the list of individual/family plans here
- See the list of small business plans here
- See a combined list of all plans here
- See more detail about all the plans, including out-of-network coverage provisions, here.
- We participate directly in 76 of the 101 plans offered to individuals and families on the private health insurance Marketplace (also called the health insurance Exchange), and 55 of the 68 plans available in Michigan on the Small Business Health Options Program, or SHOP.
- For plans we don't participate in: UMHS will be considered out-of-network, but there may be circumstances under which the plans might allow a participant to come to us for advanced care.
Healthy Michigan (expanded Medicaid) plans:
Access to UMHS for all types of care:
- Blue Cross Complete
- Meridian Health Plan of Michigan
- Midwest Health Plan
- Unitedhealthcare Community Plan
Access to UMHS for specialty care only:
- HealthPlus Medicaid
Access to UMHS only through the Medicaid Specialty Access Process:
- CoventryCares of Michigan
- Harbor Health Plan (formerly ProCare)
- Molina Health Care of Michigan
- PHP Family Care
- Priority Health
- Total Health Care
- Upper Peninsula Health Plan